With so many expensive restaurants in Geneva, it’s not always easy to find those that are really worth the hefty bill.
What we soon learnt is that the best way to go about it is through word of mouth from local people, colleagues or expats who’ve lived here for a long time.
Here’s some of our favourites in and around town, what are yours ?
- Buffet de la Gare Eaux Vives, Av. Gare Eaux-Vives 1207 Geneva tel. +41 (0)22 840 44 30 www.lacantine.ch This is one of my personal favourites, ideal for a romantic date. Serge and Els Labrosse have crafted a wonderfully informal, intimate and absolutely delicious haven for food lovers. Their dedication was rewarded with 1 Michelin star and a 16 out of 20 rating on the Gault&Millau best restaurants guide. Bravo!
- Café Restaurant Curiositas – this restaurant is now closed. Genevan restaurateur Jean-François Schlemmer opened Curiositas in November 2009. This gastronomic gem is located in the courtyard of the MAMCO (Musée d’art moderne et contemporain Genève) within an ancient physics lab and serves some unique dishes such as marinated tuna with artichoke cream and tomato sorbet and chocolate moelleux with white Toblerone filling and crispy gold flakes. YUM.
- Restaurant du Lac, Quai de Versoix 1 – 1290 Versoix tel. +41 (0)22 779 31 00 www.restaurant-du-lac-versoix.ch Another personal favourite overlooking the lake and the Mont Blanc in the small town of Versoix. The restaurant has a great choice of fish or meat dishes, including fresh filets de Perche from lac Léman. We have been many times, were never once disappointed and I salivate just typing this.
- Chez Uchino Route de Suisse 66, Versoix tel. +41 (0)22 755 10 32 A discreet, unpretentious Japanese restaurant which is a firm favourite with our family and Japanese expats in Geneva. According to many people this is the best sushi in Geneva and I totally agree (the tempura is heavenly too). My tummy most definitely belongs to Uchino.
- Le Rectiligne Restaurant – Résidence du Lac 2981, route Tour du Lac (face au port) 01220 Divonne-les-Bains France tel. +33 (0)4 50 20 06 13 www.lerectiligne.fr Do you fancy dabbling in a bit of molecular cuisine and enjoying a liquid nitrogen chocolate mousse? Well, then definitely this is the place for you. Just a short drive from Geneva in the French spa town of Divonne-les-Bains.
I could not end this post without mentioning a couple of very cool places where little ones are welcome too so here it goes:
- Dunia Thai Café chemin Frank-Thomas 12 1208 Genève, Suisse tel. +41 (0)22 700 4923 www.duniadeco.com/cafe-dunia/ Thank you again L. for recommending this ultra cool concept store & Thai Café, Expat Husband and I would never have found it and so we would have missed out on a lovely birthday lunch. Lots of mums and babies too, just the sort of place I love!
- La Reserve The Bar LA RÉSERVE GENÈVE – 301, Route de Lausanne – 1293 Bellevue – Geneva tel. +41 22 959 59 59 www.lareserve.ch Expat Husband and I tried all of the restaurants at La Reserve but our personal favourite for a spot of lunch remains The Bar for its cozy, relaxed atmosphere and delicious gourmet food (and cheaper bill too!). Best bonus is that the kids can play downstairs in the hotel playroom/crèche while parents enjoy their meal. A good place for a bit of celebrity-spotting too.