The 9th edition of the Festival livre et petite enfance will take place on the Promenade des Bastions in Geneva from the 21st to the 25th of May 2013.
When temperatures soar and the skies get so blue they seem to melt into the lake, there’s no better place to be than one of the city’s luxuriant parks – the family and I just love to soak in the balmy air and hear the breeze rustle through the foliage while the new lawn tickles our toes.
This is why the Festival livre et petite enfance is one of our favourite spring events: a number of readings, live shows and other great kids activities takes over the lovely Promenade in the Parc des Bastions and visitors have all the space and shade they need to kick back and enjoy a truly relaxing family day-out.
We’ve been really lucky so far with the weather each time we’ve taken the children to this books festival, so I hope it will be the same this time (fingers crossed..)
Every year, the Festival livre et petite enfance organizes a series of book-related events that are suitable from age 2, ranging from cozy story-times under a tent, run by volunteers from the city’s public libraries, to contes en images and circus shows.
Shows for Families & Children – tickets: 5CHF
This year’s programme, which you can download here in .pdf format, will include the following activities at the Parc des Bastions in Geneva:
- 21st May 2013: “Promenade”, a delightful show from age 2 about the secret promise that spring holds, performed with ‘imaginary’ images that will tickle the imagination of the very young audience. Show starts at 4.15pm and tickets are 5CHF.
- 22nd May 2013: “Pop-up Cirkus” from age 2 with the theatre company L’Articule. Show starts at 4.15pm and tickets are 5CHF.
- 24th May 2013: prix P’tits Mômes 2013, a literary prize organized by Geneva’s public libraries where young pre-school children will vote for their favourite book from the final 4 shortlisted. Be there at 9.30am to hear these books read aloud and be ready to applaud the winner at 11am !
- 25th May 2013: Croqu’ Livres – from 10am volunteers from Bibliothèques municipales will read out loud their favourite children’s books, for ages 0 to 4.
- 25th May 2013: Contes en image – at 2.30pm and 3.30pm story-teller Casilda will share her love of travelling with the help of the beautiful illustrations by Mirjana Farkas. From age 3, in the “Yourte à histoires”.
Free workshops & activities for all ages
Some of the shows taking place on the Promenade des Bastions have an entry fee of 5CHF, but there will also be many free workshops and readings under the yourtes tents on the Promenade (click here to download the programme in .pdf with full details).
Free activities will include “livres en sac” – little surprises waiting for you in a small bag…pick them up and let the story take you away, as well as the travelling tales of the Bus des Colporteurs, from age 2. If you have young babies don’t miss the “Comptinembulle” on Wednesday 22nd and Saturday 25th of May at 3.15pm, ideal for little ones aged 3 to 15 months.
Free Readings at Geneva’s Public Libraries
A number of readings from age 2 will also take place in the city’s libraries and entry is free, so make the most of them…
- 22nd May 2013 at 10am: Contes avec Florence Henry from age 2 at the Bibliothèque des Pâquis (Rue du Môle 17). Entry is free but places have to be reserved in advance at 022 418 37 52.
- 23rd May 2013 at 9.30am & 10.30am: Contes avec Adriana Conterio from age 2 at the Bibliothèque de la Servette (Rue Veyrassat 9). Entry is free but places have to be reserved in advance at 022 418 37 82.
- 23rd May 2013 at 10am: Monsieur Pouce m’a dit…, storytime from age 2 at the Bibliothèque de Saint-Jean (Avenue des Tilleuls 19, entrée rue Miléant). Entry is free but places have to be reserved in advance at 022 418 92 02.
- 23rd May 2013 at 10am: Contes avec Florence Henry from age 2 at the Bibliothèque des Eaux-Vives (Rue Sillem 2). Entry is free but places have to be reserved in advance at 022 418 37 72.
21st – 25th of May 2013
Promenade des Bastions and public libraries in Geneva