We’ve already posted a list of our favourite ice-cream parlours in June 2013, but so many new Italian gelaterie have opened in the area that it’s probably time for a little update, just in time for summer.
Italian-style gelato is soft, creamy and simply scrumptious, with a texture that’s entirely different from that of mass-produced ice-cream. The list below only includes Italian gelaterie in the Geneva & Vaud area because, to be perfectly honest, it’s the best ice-cream you could ever have.
Standards have improved so much in the last few years that it’s really hard to pick favourites — you won’t find any watery concoctions saturated with big, tough ice crystals in any of these gelaterie: they all serve up the creamiest Italian gelato, made with locally sourced and very often organic ingredients.
Instead, we have listed them in alphabetical and geographical order. The choice is all yours now!
Italian Gelaterie in Geneva:
- Bellamia Gelateria Italiana in Carouge (2 Place du Marché, tel. 022 301 19 71). Open Monday to Sunday from 11am to 8pm. An authentic corner of gelato-heaven in the heart of Carouge, Bellamia offers a selection of gloriously old-fashioned recipes in a modern setting. For a taste of gelato how nonna would have made it, try the Mascarpone with figs, Zabaione, Tiramisù or Crema di nonna Elide.
- Manu il gelato italiano, award-winning Manu has taken Geneva by storm and quickly opened 3 shops in the city, plus a new one in Nyon (VD). Their ice-cream is made with locally sourced and mostly organic ingredients, and no chemical additives at all. You can find them at the following addresses in Geneva:
Rue de Carouge 65 – 1205 Genève – Tel. +41 22 321 64 40 firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de Pâquis 15 – 1201 Genève – Tel. +41 22 731 95 01 email@example.com
Rue des Eaux-vives 21 – 1207 Genève – Tel. +41 22 777 21 21 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Puro Gelato in Thônex (rue de Genève 123b). Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 7pm & until 9.30pm on Saturday. All their ice-cream flavours are made with Genevan milk, sugar and natural ingredients, with absolutely no nasties or chemical additives at all. You can read more about Puro gelato in our previous post.
- Yourgurteria in Geneva (Boulevard Carl-Vogt 34, Tel. 079 394 90 70). Open from 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday. Head to Yourgurteria for the best frozen yogurt in Geneva, made with organic milk, yogurt enzymes and nothing else.
Italian Gelaterie in Vaud:
- Gelateria Venezia in Nyon (Rue de Rive 44, tel. 022 362 09 89) Open everyday from 11am to 10pm from March to September. An institution, easily spotted by the endless queue outside, serving delicious classic flavours.
- IGusti gelateria artigianale in Nyon (Rue Neuve 5, tel. 022 361 48 33). Try their über-creamy fruit sorbets, they’re made with no added sugar at all — their Mango sorbet, especially, is to die for…You can read more about IGusti in our previous post. Open Tuesday to Ssaturday from midday to 6pm and from 2pm to 6pm on Sundays. No cards accepted, cash payments only.
- Manu il gelato italiano in Nyon (Rue de Rive 32, tel. 022 361 08 94). Award-winning Manu has taken Geneva by storm and quickly opened 3 shops in the city, plus this new one in Nyon (VD) in June 2015. Their ice-cream is made with locally sourced and mostly organic ingredients, and no chemical additives at all. Their Black Forest, Pistachio and Vanilla flavours secured them the Premier Champion Suisse des Glaces Artisanales crown in 2015, but their Oreo flavour and Mascarpone alle noci are pretty awesome too.