Here’s our events listings for the month of October, remember to keep checking these listings regularly as we will be updating this post with more events each week.
TOY & BOOK LIBRARIES
On those gray, drizzly autumn days when nothing seems to placate your little buttons, remember you can visit your local ludothèques for a spot of free-play and some light relief.
Public libraries are also a great place for your children: many host free events, workshops, story-times (usually in French but many times in other languages too). The bibliothèques in Geneva, Lausanne and neighbouring communes hold too many kids events each month to list them all here so here’s some links you can check regularly:
Geneva public libraries events & activities
Carouge public libraries events & activities
Lausanne public libraries events & activities
SUNDAY BRUNCH & INDOOR PLAY CENTRES
You can also check our previous posts to find all the best child-friendly places to enjoy a delicious and stress-free Sunday brunch with your little buttons or the best indoor play centres in Geneva, Vaud and nearby France. And if the Sunday blues hit you don’t fret, we’ve got some great tips for that too!
Find a list of Halloween celebrations in our latest post, spooky or what?!
- until October 2014: Les Quais du Dahlia, a wonderful dahlias exhibition along the lakeside in Morges. See over 2,250 gorgeous dahlia flowers bloom in hundreds of varieties all along the Quai Igor Strawinsky in Morges (VD). A truly stunning view along the town’s lakeside. Read all about it in our previous post.
- Wednesday 1st October 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Etes-vous Picasso ou rougegorge?” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). A fun way to discover more about the fascinating world of birds, these free Wednesday workshops in French will take place every Wednesday during the months of October, November, December from 2pm to 4.30pm (on the second floor).
- Wednesday 1st October 2014: “Au soleil des pharaons”, part of the Mercredis Family at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). Children aged 6 and older accompanied by an adult are welcome every Wednesday at 3pm to discover all about the museum collections in a fun, interactive way. Reserve your places in advance at email@example.com or by phone at 022 418 25 00.
- Wednesday 1st October 2014: “Les dés sont jetés”, the petits rendez-vous at Geneva’s MAMCO continue every Wednesday afternoon in October, suitable for children aged 5 to 10 accompanied by an adult they are free of charge and require no advance booking. The upcoming petits rendez-vous (all in French) will be: Sunday 5th October at 11.15am “Les voisins”; Wednesday 8th. at 3.15am “Je suis toujours vivant”; Wed. 15th “Le Petit Rendez-vous dont vous êtes le héros”; Wednesday 22nd “La porte verte” & Wed. 29th of October “A bras le corps” at 3.15pm. If you have very young children, don’t miss the mini rendez-vous for children aged 2 to 4, accompanied by an adult. The next one will be on Wed. 1st of October at 3.15pm “La ville dans la chambre”. They last approx. 20 minutes and are free of charge (in French, no advance booking required).
- 2nd-5th October 2014: Poésie en ville, a unique poetry festival offering a selection of great free events including exhibitions, poetry readings, workshops and much more at various location throughout the city. Click here for full programme details.
- 3rd-4th October 2014: Fête de la Vigne, an Autumn and wine fest taking place on the place du Château in Nyon (VD). The programme will include live music, free wine tastings from 7 local wine producers, grape harvest at the Vigne de la Duche with activities for kids and much more. Free entry, click here for full programme details.
- 3rd-5th October 2014: Assemblages Festival in Troinex. Don’t miss the family show Zwäi on Sunday 5th of October 2014 at 3.30pm (Salle des fêtes de Troinex, 20 route de Moillebin), an exhilarating circus & pantomime show the whole family will love!
- 3rd-11th October 2014: Animatou Film Festival in Geneva, a fab line-up of international animated movies your little ones will love. See the official website for full details of the 180 films that will be shown and all the kids workshops available.
- Saturday 4th October 2014: Beach Party in Collex-Bossy starting at 9pm. Right next to the fire-station in Collex-Bossy, there will be DJ sets, cocktails and 200 square meters of fine sand – go book your baby-sitter now!
- Saturday 4th October 2014: Marché d’automne, Oktoberfest in Nyon (VD), along the town centre, Rue de la Gare, Rue Perdemtps, Rue Neuve, Place St.Martin, Place du Marché, Grand-Rue, Rue de la Morâche. From 8am to 8pm enjoy live music, kids activities, a farmers’ market and many more autumn activities! FREE ENTRY.
- Saturday 4th October 2014: 30th anniversary of the Ludothèque des Pâquis on the playground of the Ecole de Pâquis-Centre in Geneva (rue de Berne 50). From 2pm to 8pm take part in the fun activities to celebrate the toy library, including ludobus, bouncy castles, plenty of games (of course!), and couscous from 6pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Saturday 4th October 2014: 2ème Festival des Familles, family festival at the Musée international de la Croix-Rouge et du Croissant-Rouge in Geneva (Avenue de la Paix 17). From 10am to 6pm enjoy a number of exciting family activities including workshops, family guided tours and board games. Click here for full programme details.
- Saturday 4th October 2014: UEFA Journée Portes Ouvertes, UEFA will be celebrating their 60th anniversary and will be holding an open day at their HQ in Nyon (UEFA et Centre sportif de Colovray, Route de Genève 46). From 9am to 4pm families and visitors will be able to learn more about the home of European football with fun activities, prizes, special screenings and close encounters with famous footballers of the past. Entry is free – a number of sport activities will take place at the Colovray Stadium across the road, your little sporty boots will definitely enjoy it!
- Saturday 4th October 2014: Swiss Classic British Cars Meeting in Morges (VD). The 23rd Swiss Classic British Car Meeting will be held on the quayside in the lovely lakeside town of Morges in Switzerland on Saturday 4th October 2014 from 10 a.m. to 5 o’clock. Last year the event attracted more than 20,000 visitors and saw over 1600 classic British cars and motorbikes turn up from not only Switzerland, but many from France, Germany, Italy, the UK, Belgium and the Netherlands as well. Everything from MGs from the 1950s, Austins from the 1930s, racing Jaguars from the ‘60s, and old Rolls-Royces and Bentleys. Plus a number of excellent models of the 2-wheel variety, including classic Nortons, Triumphs and Royal Enfields from the golden age of English bikes. Free entry.
- 4th-5th October 2014: Ô Vives à Vous, street celebrations with an Oktoberfest theme in Eaux-Vives. There will be activities and a vide-grenier so go if you can!
- 4th-5th October 2014: Fête japonaise at the Salle des Fêtes in Carouge (37 rue Ancienne) from 4pm to 6pm on Saturday and from 10am to 6pm on Sunday. We went last year and had a great time watching some of the traditional dance, music & sumo shows and tasting some Japanese delicacies of course. My eldest boy also had a go at calligraphy, definitely a great day out for the whole family. Click here to see the full programme.
- 4th-5th October 2014: La Fête de la Pomme in Péron and at the Verger Tiocan in Pays de Gex (France). Autumn is finally here so it’s time to enjoy its sweet harvest with this great family festival, there will be an apple market, activities for kids, freshly-pressed apple juice and much more! The apple festival will take place from 2pm to 6pm at the Verger Tiocan on Saturday 4th of October; and from 10am to 6pm at the Salle Champ Fontaine in Peron on Sunday 5th. FREE ENTRY.
- 4th-19th October 2014: “Toi du Monde”, a fun puppet show suitable from age 4 at the Théâtre des Marionnettes de Genève (Rue Rodo 3), which tells the story of a little girl and the magic world she sees from her window. See the theatre’s official website to reserve your places.
- Sunday 5th October: Tram Historique, why not visit Geneva and Carouge on board an authentic vintage tram? Circulating on selected Sundays throughout the year, this is a great way to see the city with your little ones: check the timetable for exact departure times and stops. Tickets are 8CHF for adults and 6CHF for kids aged 6 to 16 for a tour without stops; or 12CHF for adults and 8CHF for kids for an all-day pass.
- Sunday 5th October 2014: Marché aux pommes at the Maison Vaudagne in Meyrin (Avenue de Vaudagne 16). Celebrate the arrival of autumn with this great apple market open from 10am to 4pm, offering apple-juice workshops for kids, activities and scrummy food! Free entry.
- until 5th October 2014: Le Grand Pourquoi, a delightful show suitable from age 4 dealing with life’s big questions in a poetic way. The show is at Le petit théâtre in Lausanne (place de la Cathédrale 12). See the official website for performance times and to book your tickets.
- Sunday 5th October 2014: Free entry to all museums and exhibitions in Geneva, a special initiative organized by the city of Geneva offering free access to permanent and temporary exhibitions on the first Sunday of every month.
- Sunday 5th October 2014: Fête de la Courge from 10am to 6pm at the Ecole primaire in Corsier (route de Corsier). This pumpkin festival features a scrummy local produce market with oodles of pumpkins, of course, as well as sausages, artisan bread and beer. The little ones can take part in kids activities and buy pumpkins for carving.
- Tuesday 7th October 2014: “Voyage autour du conte et des histoires” storytime from age 4 at the library of La Julienne in Plan-les-Ouates from 4.30pm to 5.45pm. Free entry.
- 7th, 26th, 28th-29th October 2014: “Little Black Movie September sessions”, a selection of delightful short Japanese movies for children at the Cinémas du Grütli in Geneva (16, rue du Général Dufour); Onex, Meyrin, Maison CIViQ and Chêne-Bourg, starting at 3pm or 4.30pm. Check the official website for full details. Ticket prices 5CHF up to the age of 10.
- Wednesday 8th October 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Etes-vous Picasso ou rougegorge?” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). A fun way to discover more about the fascinating world of birds, these free Wednesday workshops in French will take place every Wednesday during the months of October, November, December from 2pm to 4.30pm (on the second floor).
- Wednesday 8th October 2014: Sonnez les matines, song & storytime for little buttons (babies & toddlers) at the Bibliothèque Aux Mille Feuille in Gland (38, grand rue). From 9.30am to 10.30am, free entry no advance booking necessary.
- Wednesday 8th October 2014: “Les jeux sont faits!”, part of the Mercredis Family at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). Children aged 6 and older accompanied by an adult are welcome every Wednesday at 3pm to discover all about the museum collections in a fun, interactive way. Reserve your places in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 022 418 25 00.
- 10th-12th October 2014: Baby & Kid Planet exhibition at the Expo Beaulieu in Lausanne, open from 10am to 6pm. Don’t miss this great opportunity to try out baby and kids activities like baby swimming, baby massage and LEGO workshops, as well as Zumba for pregnant women and plenty of advice about breastfeeding and all the best baby equipment. And when it’s time to sit down and take a break, your little muffins can watch a puppet-show, suitable from age 2. Click here for the full programme, entry tickets are 11CHF and free for children under 12.
- 10th-12th October 2014: Festival Suisse de Cirque de Jeunesse in Confignon starts today! Until Sunday 12th of October 100 young circus artists from all over #Switzerland will be performing for the public at different times throughout the day. The shows will be taking place Sous Chapiteau near the Salle Communale in Confignon (chemin de Sous le Clos). Ticket prices start at 10CHF for children and 15CHF for adults.
- 10th October-21st December 2014: Titanic, a fantastic new exhibition coming up at Geneva’s Palexpo which will tell the real-life stories of its passengers and display artefacts including personal belongings of passengers and crew. Not only that, but reconstitutions of the Great Staircase and the First Class Cabins will give you a feeling of what it was like to be on board a the time. Tickets are 22CHF for adults and 16CHF for children aged 6 to 15; family tickets are 64CHF – advance booking is recommended as this event will be very popular!
- 10th-11th October 2014: Meyrin Portes Ouvertes, a great event in collaboration with SWISSAID Genève on the theme of agriculture, local ecomonies & biodiversity, part of the ONU programme for the Année Internationale de l’agriculture familiale. Take part in the “Brunch locavore” starting at midday on Saturday 11th of October, which will be followed by kids workshops in French from 2pm until 6pm. The workshops will include story times, creative art with vegetables and more. Free entry to the open discussions and vernissage, but paid entry required for the brunch and live concerts. Brunch prices are CHF 20.- for adults and CHF 12.- for children and will include a selection of cheese, mezze, salads, desserts, sweet & savoury tarts, apple juice and coffee. Places must be booked online in advance.
- Saturday 11th October 2014: Fête du petit bétail at the Place de la Sardaigne in Carouge. From 10am to 5pm local farmers will involve your little one sin various activities including cheese-making, sheep shearing and many more. This is like a petting zoo right in the heart of Carouge, so definitely something children will love. Free entry.
- Saturday 11th October 2014: “Né pour lire” session starting at 3pm at the Bibliothèque de Carouge (Boulevard des Promenades 2bis). A fun, relaxed way to introduce your little ones from the age of 6 months to 4 years old to the joys of reading. Free entry, no advance booking necessary and nursing pillows available.
- Saturday 11th October 2014: Scary Night at the Castle at the Château de Chillon in Veytaux near Montreux (VD). From 5pm to 11pm your little night owls can take part in this night-time adventure at one of Switzerland’s most breathtaking medieval fortresses. The castle will be lit with torches and filled with music, scary activities and a ghostly light installation on the castle’s walls by light designer Gerry Hofstetter. Entry is 15CHF per person or 35CHF for family tickets, free entry for children under 6.
- Saturday 11th October 2014: Gourmandiv’ Festival in Divonne-les-Bains (France). A finger-licking fest dedicated to all things scrumptious, with plenty of free activities for kids including theatre shows, food tastings, free kids workshops and much more. Click here for full programme details, the festival will run from 10.30am to 5pm. FREE ENTRY.
- 11th-12th October 2014: Genève Fête son Terroir, a local Swiss festival perfect for the whole family. From yodel to pony rides for the little ones, this is a great day out for all ages! Click here for full details.
- 11th-12th October 2014: Festival de jeux LudiDARX, games festival in Prévessin-Moëns (salle Gaston Laverrière), suitable from age 3. Free entry for the whole family, choose from the wood-carving workshop or board games competitions.
- Sunday 12th October 2014: Marche de l’Espoir from 11am to 5.30pm on the Quai du Mont-Blanc in Geneva. This is a great charity event with activities for all the family, including live music, international food stalls, folk dance and face painting. The Marche de l’espoir is in support of the charity Terre des Hommes Suisse.
- Sunday 12th October 2014: Plein Ecran : Charlie et la Chocolaterie, a screening in French of the Tim Burton’s movie, followed by a snack for the kids. The film is free of charge but the snack is 10 euros per child, the screening will take place at the Esplanade du Lac in Divonne-les-Bains (France). The movie is suitable from age 7.
- until 12th October 2014: Famille Boutabou, a fun clown show suitable from age 5 at the theatre La Traverse in Geneva (Maison de quartier des Pâquis, 50 rue de Berne).
- 12th-16th October 2014: Olympic Week at the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. Were you born between 1 July 1999 and 30 June 2006? Good, then this is for you! Sign up for this great festival of sport in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital of the world! Get ready for five days of fun and sport during your holidays: more than 30 activities on offer at The Olympic Museum and in the Olympic Park for children aged 8 to 15. From archery to taekwondo, including bobsleigh, and not forgetting a tour of the brand new Olympic Museum. Click here to download the full programme in French, all sports activities are free of charge and MUST be booked in advance before the 3rd of October 2014 – click here for the online registration form.
- Tuesday 14th October 2014: “Né pour lire” session starting at 10am at the Bibliothèque de Carouge (Boulevard des Promenades 2bis). A fun, relaxed way to introduce your little ones from the age of 6 months to 4 years old to the joys of reading. Free entry, no advance booking necessary and nursing pillows available.
- Tuesday 14th & Tuesday 21st October 2014: Ateliers vacances at the Château de Prangins (VD) for children aged 7 to 12, in French. The workshop on Tuesday 14th will be “De la lumière à la photographie” and running from 2pm to 4.30pm, the price per child is 10CHF including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 058 469 38 90.
- Wednesday 15th October 2014: Récite-moi La Fontaine, story-time from age 7 at the Société de Lecture in Geneva (11, Grand’Rue). Fiami is a famous Swiss illustrator, tickets are 15CHF per child and they include a snack. The story time runs from 3.30pm to 5pm.
- Wednesday 15th October 2014: L’automne au verger, a fantastic family activity organized by the Maison du Salève, taking place at 2pm in Collonges-sous-salève (FRANCE). Discover all the orchards and wine yards in Collonges and learn to make your own fruit juice! Activities are suitable from age 5, meet at the parking du Coin (route de la Croisette 74160 Collonges-sous-Salève). The activities are free of charge but advanced booking is required at + 33 (0)4 50 95 92 16 or buy email at email@example.com
- Wednesday 15th October 2014: Le MAH à tout petits pas – Mercredi Family pour les tout-petits free guided tours for children aged 3 to 5 accompanied by an adult at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva starting at 10.30am. No previous booking required, FREE OF CHARGE.
- Wednesday 15th October 2014: “Super-héros de l’Antiquité”, part of the Mercredis Family at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). Children aged 6 and older accompanied by an adult are welcome every Wednesday at 3pm to discover all about the museum collections in a fun, interactive way. Reserve your places in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 022 418 25 00.
- Thursday 16th October 2014: Marché Sans Puces, an evening of shopping, live music, dancing and more at the Pavillon Sicli in Geneva (route des Acacias 45). From 5.30pm to midnight discover some of the coolest local designer, jewellery makers & artisans while you stroll around for the bargain of the year, drink in hand. Free entry.
- Thursday 16th October 2014: Les encombrants font leur cirque, a fun circus & puppet show suitable for all ages at the Esplanade du lac in Divonne-les-Bains (France). The show starts at 7.30pm, tickets are 25 euros per adults and 12 euros per child.
- 16th & 23rd October 2014: Atelier musical pour les petits – En partenariat avec La Bulle d’air, a great music workshop for ages 2 to 6 at the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in Nyon (8, quai Louis-Bonnard). Organized by La Bulle d’Air, this workshop is only 10CHF per child and will start at 10am. If you have young toddlers you’ll know how difficult it is to find activities for little ones this young so make sure you book your places now at 022 361 09 49 or email@example.com. You can read more about the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in our previous post.
- until 17th October 2014: “Les Créateliers animent le square Monthoux” kids activities & workshops at the square Monthoux in Geneva (32 rue de Monthoux) for children aged 2 to 12 on Monday and Thursday afternoon and on Saturdays. Check the official website for full details.
- 17th October-18th January 2014: Keith Haring Affiches Vintage, a fantastic free exhibition at the Quartier Libre SIG in Geneva (Pont de la Machine 1). This is the first time that Haring’s vintage posters have been exhibited in Switzerland, so it’s a great opportunity to see his collection of 85 posters designed to support important causes such as the fight against racism, AIDS and environmental, a truly unique insight into the world of 1980s NYC. The Quartier Libre SIG is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 5pm. FREE ENTRY, they also offer free guided tours of the exhibition in French or English (suitable from age 11) on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays at 9.15am, 10.30am and 2pm for groups of 10 people minimum.
- 17th-19th October 2014: Rail-Expo, model building exhibition at the Salles du Stand, Collège de Nyon-Marens (route du Stand, 5). Train models, trucks and boats as well as life size war vehicles. Click here for full details, entry is 9CHF for adults and 4CHF for children.
- 18th October 2014: Mouvement, sons et musique, illustration family workshop with the designer Matali Crasset starting at 9.30am at the Galeries du Forum Meyrin (5, place des Cinq-Continents). The workshop is part of Crasset’s exhibition “Le blobterre de Matali & inter-actions végétales”, entry to the workshop is 8CHF per person, no advance booking required.
- 18th October 2014: BG World at la Praille in Carouge (Rte des Jeunes 10) will be celebrating its 10th anniversary on Saturday 18th of October. From 3pm your little cheeky monkeys will be able to try out some free lessons, have a ball on the bouncy castles or test the “parcours baby gym”…plus a few more secret surprises in store for everyone! Free entry, the event takes place indoor (perfect if the weather carries on like this…)
- 18th October 2014: Spectacle équestre pour soutenir Zoe4life at the Manège de Giez (VD). This equestrian show in support of the charity Zoe4Life starts at 6pm, entry is free but donations in support of the charity gratefully accepted.
- 18th October 2014: Fête de la bière at the Salle du Vallon in St Cergue (VD). One for mums & dads out there: doors open at 3pm, beer will be accompanied by food & nibbles. Entry 5CHF per person.
- 18th-19th October 2014: Fête de la Châtaigne in Fully (Canton Valais) is an unmissable Autumn event. Taste some delicious roasted chestnuts and enjoy plenty of fun activities for kids, from guided walks in the woods to wood-carving workshops, live music and much more. See the official website for full details.
- 18th-24th October 2014: FestiMôm’ – MJC Centre Annemasse, a truly entertaining family festival in Annemasse (France) offering plenty of workshops, movies, games and more fun activities for the whole family. Click here for the full programme.
- Sunday 19th October 2014: Fête transfrontalière des vergers traditionnels in Saint-Julien-en-Genevois (Complexe Sportif de la Paguette – chemin du Loup, France). From 10am to 6pm there will be fruit picking, a farmers’ market, demonstrations on how to grow and care for your fruit orchard and more. FREE ENTRY.
- until 19th October 2014: Fête de la science across the whole of France will include events such as the “Phénomènes lumineux naturels dans le ciel de jour et de nuit” on Wednesday 8th of October; the Village des sciences in Annecy; Les coulisses du bien être at Vitam’parc in Neydens and many more.
- until 19th October 2014: Ethnopalmes, fun & interactive exhibition at the Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques in Geneva, unveiling all the many uses that palm trees can provide us with. Click here to download the full programme of family activity and workshops linked to the exhibition.
- 20th-30th October 2014: “Turlututu”, a delightful, poetic puppet show suitable for ages 1 to 3 at the Théâtre des Marionnettes de Genève (Rue Rodo 3). Monsieur Turlututu is all yellow and knows many fun songs your little ones will love! See the theatre’s official website to reserve your places.
- 20th-31st October 2014: The “P’tit Yeux, grand écran” children’s film festival will be taking place from the 20th to the 31st of October in Gex (France). With plenty of screenings, fun workshops and story-times there will be something for everyone Entry is 3 euros for children aged 2-6 and 5,10 Euros for normal tickets. You can download the full programme here.
- Tuesday 21st October 2014: Ateliers vacances at the Château de Prangins (VD) for children aged 7 to 12, in French. The workshop on Tuesday 14th will be “Ça coupe et ça pique !” and running from 2pm to 4.30pm, the price per child is 10CHF including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 058 469 38 90.
- 21st-24th October 2014: “Vacances à la romaine”, holiday workshops in French for children aged 7 to 12 at the Musée romain de Nyon (9, rue Maupertuis). Workshops take place from 2pm to 4pm and cost 16CHF per child (for each workshop). Choose from breadmaking ancient Roman-style, mosaic or dressing up in the style of ancient Rome – places must be booked in advance at 022 361 75 91 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 21st-26th October 2014: Des vacances qui donnent la patate, school holiday workshops at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). Children aged 6+ accompanied by an adult are welcome to join these free workshops from 2pm to 5pm to discover all about the museum collections in a fun, interactive way. Reserve your places in advance at email@example.com or by phone at 022 418 25 00.
- Wednesday 22nd October 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Etes-vous Picasso ou rougegorge?” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). A fun way to discover more about the fascinating world of birds, these free Wednesday workshops in French will take place every Wednesday during the months of October, November, December from 2pm to 4.30pm (on the second floor).
- Wednesday 22nd October 2014: La Cuisine, a fun music show suitable from age 3 at the Esplanade du lac in Divonne-les-Bains (France). The show starts at 11ma, tickets are 8 euros per person.
- 22nd-25th October 2014: School holiday activities organized by the Maison du Salève, taking place in Pomier and Cernex (FRANCE). These great nature activities are suitable from age 5 and will cover tree recognition, animal searches an d much more. Children must be accompanied by an adult. The activities cost 6 euros per child and advanced booking is required at + 33 (0)4 50 95 92 16 or buy email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 23rd October 2014: Atelier musical pour les petits – En partenariat avec La Bulle d’air, a great music workshop for ages 2 to 6 at the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in Nyon (8, quai Louis-Bonnard). Organized by La Bulle d’Air, this workshop is only 10CHF per child and will start at 10am. If you have young toddlers you’ll know how difficult it is to find activities for little ones this young so make sure you book your places now at 022 361 09 49 or email@example.com. You can read more about the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in our previous post.
- Friday 24th October 2014: Friday evening Apéros Beauté kicked off on the 17th of October at Le Bal Des Créateurs in Geneva. Every Friday from 6pm to 8pm you can enjoy a fast & glamorous hair-do & make-up while sipping an apérol spritz at only 30CHF for hair or make-up or 50CHF for both. What an absolute treat for a special night-out à deux or with friends!Le Bal Des Créateurs – 25, rue de l’Arquebuse – Geneva. Phone 022 320 00 55.
- 24th-26th October 2014: Festival Salamandre at the Théâtre de Beausobre in Morges (VD). Discover all there is the know about the fascinating world of birds, with documentaries, a giant exhibition, fun workshops and story-times under the Mongolian yourte. Free entry for children under 6, open from 10am to 7pm on Friday and Saturday; from 10am to 6pm on Sunday.
- 24th-26th October 2014: Halloween Fun at Yatouland in Vernier (Geneva), with Halloween face-painting, fun activities and treasure hunt from 11am on Friday. Entry is 15CHF per child.
- 25th October 2014: Pumpkin Festival in Gryon from 6pm, the village streets in Gryon (VD) become illuminated with numerous lights of pumpkin lanterns. Animation and bar on the esplanade of the center gryonnais (Rue du Village 34) with small catering, regional wines and traditional pumpkin soup. Gryon is 110 km from Geneva.
- 25th October 2014: Children’s Costume Parade in Château-d’Oex (Pays-d’Enhaut). A colorful parade and witches story-time for kids are the centrepiece of this great family event. The day’s programme will include pumpkin carving workshops and clown performances from 11am, followed by the kids parade at 5.30pm and giant afternoon snack for all at 6pm. FREE ENTRY, Château-d’Oex is 140 km from Geneva.
- 25th October 2014: Halloween in Leysin, which will include a pumpkin carving competition (you must reserve your pumpkin at the Tourist Office by the 23rd of October) and a walk in the woods of fear!
- 25th October 2014: Halloween at Fort l’Ecluse in on the Route de Genève in Léaz, Pays de Gex (France). From 5.30pm to 10.30pm your little witches, skeletons and ghosts will take over the castle: take part in all the activities including magician shows, face painting and eerie night visits of the fort.
- 25th-26th October 2014: Cité des Jeux at the Expo Beaulieu in Lausanne. Get ready for some serious family fun with games tournaments, games testing, workshops and fun games sessions for all ages, click here for full programme details. Opening times will be 10am to 6pm on both days. Tickets are 13CHF for children aged 3 to 14 and 15CHf for adults, family tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids are 51CHF.
- 26th October 2014: Lausanne Marathon, get ready for this great event which includes a Mini track for kids (2,6 or 4,2km); Walking (10km); Half Marathon (21km) and Full Marathon (42km). Participants to the 22nd Lausanne Marathon will set off on the mother of all athletic races on a path that is now well beaten between Lausanne and La Tour-de-Peilz and back. Advanced and intermediate runners will partake in an organization that has proven its worth nonstop since 1993. The deadline for registration is October 15th. Runners may not register the day of the race.
- 26th October-23rd November 2014: “Les sept corbeaux” brought to the stage in French at the Théâtre Töpffer in Geneva (21, Avenue Eugène Pittard). Performances will take place on Wednesdays, Saturdays & Sundays at 3.30pm except on 19th, 20th, 23rd, 26th of April. Get there in advance to get the best seats when the doors open!
- Tuesday 28th October 2014: Make-A-Wish Switzerland, a foundation that grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions, is organising a jazz-rock fusion evening on October 28th at the Java Club in Geneva. The objective of this event is to grant even more magical wishes to ill children, so please support them if you can! The foundation’s President, Xavier Oberson will perform with his band “Out of Law” plus there will be a special surprise guest. There will be a private cocktail from 8pm to 10pm, tickets for which are CHF 100. There will also be another session at 10pm – donations at the door.
- Wednesday 29th October 2014: Vide Dressing Enfant Party from 10am to 7pm at the Twinkle Twinkle Lab kids concept store in Geneva (Boulevard du Pont D’Arve 2). Be there to sell your second-hand kids clothes or to bag yourself some sterling bargains! Contact Twinkle Twinkle Lab at 079 827 30 09 firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Wednesday 29th October 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Etes-vous Picasso ou rougegorge?” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). A fun way to discover more about the fascinating world of birds, these free Wednesday workshops in French will take place every Wednesday during the months of October, November, December from 2pm to 4.30pm (on the second floor).
- Wednesday 29th October 2014: Les histoires de Matriochka, free story time in French starting at 2pm at the Bibliothèque des Jeunes in Nyon (Chemin de Crève-Coeur 3, you can park in the La Combe underground parking lot). Entry is free but places are allocated on a first come first served basis, so try to be there when doors open at 1.45. These Russian tales will be accompanied by music and will be followed by a free snack for all children present.
- until 31st October 2014: Veni, Vidi, Ludique, a fascinating exhibition about toys and childhood games in ancient Rome held at 3 locations: the Musée romain de Nyon, Musée Suisse du Jeu and the Musée romain de Vallon. Discover what kept children entertained in ancient Rome and hw their toys were made, from rattles for babies to dolls and dice games made out of animal bones. Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to pm at the Musée romain de Nyon.
- Friday 31st October 2014: Special Escalade Nocturne to celebrate Halloween at the Parc Aventure des Evaux in Geneva. If the weather is good, put on your scariest Halloween costume and join other monsters from 1pm to 4pm with no advance booking required. From 6pm to 11pm the scary party continues with an Halloween raclette party, live music and accrobranche nocturne but it is mandatory to book your place in advance at email@example.com or by phone on 022 820 10 10. Spooky dress-up costumes are de rigueur!
- Friday 31st October 2014: Halloween party at Yatouland in Vernier (Geneva). The Halloween disco & bouncy castles extravaganza runs from 6pm to 9.30pm, entry is 15CHF per child and free for accompanying adults.
- Friday 31st October 2014: Boum d’ Halloween at Vitam’ Ludic in Neydens (France). This spooktacular Halloween party will begin at 7pm and finish at 10pm, there will be a competition for the scariest costumes, a baby disco, buffet and drinks. The party is suitable from age 5 and reserved only for kids. The price is 15 euros per child. Places must be booked in advance at the Vitam’Ludic office or on their website.
- Friday 31st October 2014: Halloween Party at C l’Aventure indoor play centre in Annemasse (France). There will be various Halloween activities throughout the month of October but for a proper Halloween night party make sure you are there on Friday 31st from 7.30pm to 11pm, ready to be spooked! There will be magic shows, scary buffet food, a vampires ball and a best-Halloween-costume competition, entry is 15 euros for adults and 16 euros for kids aged 4 to 12. Kids aged 1 to 3 will only pay 10 euros. Click here to see our previous post about C l’Aventure.
- Friday 31st October 2014: Boum d’ Halloween at La Forêt enchantée indoor play centre in Sillingy (near Annecy, France). This is a 1,200 square meters space filled with great climbing frames, baby play area and ball pools, go-kart, so the perfect place for little ones to burn of excess energy! The party will start at 7pm and finish at 10pm, there will be a buffet, music, a baby disco and many scary activities, places must be booked in advance at +33 (0)9 800 85 900. Tickets are 12 euros for adults, 15 euros for kids aged 3 to 12 and 8.5 euros for little ones aged 0 to 2.
- Friday 31st October 2014: Kidz Night Out at Bricks 4 Kidz® in St-Sulpice (Rue du Centre 72, near Lausanne) from 4.30pm to 7.30pm. The price of 40CHF per child will include a best-costume contest, Halloween games, scary stories, Monster Mash dance and Halloween themed LEGO® activities. Each child will also receive a bag of Halloween treats to take home. Suitable from age 5.
- 31st October 2014: the brand new Musée d’ethnographie de Genève – MEG will re-open on the 31st of October 2014 with a 3-day celebration and a great exhibition about ancient Peru, make sure you save the date! The full programme is now available to download in .pdf format.
- 1st November 2014: Halloween in Villars-sur-Ollon. Costume competition, pumpkin weighing competitions, trick or treating along the main road, kids parade and, from 4.30pm to 7pm, a big disco at the Gringo! An unforgettable day-out for children. FREE ENTRY, Villars-sur-Ollon is 110 km from Geneva.
- Saturday 1st November 2014: Halloween party at Jayland indoor play centre in Villars-Ste-Croix (Centre New Adoc – 1, Croix du Péage – Z.I Crissier/Bussigny). More details to follow on their facebook page, so stay tuned! You can find out more about Jayland in our previous post.
- Saturday 1st November 2014: Halloween party at Cupcakes the City in Geneva (Rue des Vollandes 15) for children aged 5 to 13. The party will run from 3.30pm until 5.30pm, kids are only required to wear a mask or a hat and there will be face-painting, cupcake decoration sessions and plenty of sweets, cupcakes and popcorn for everyone! Price is 49CHF per child, places must be booked in advance at 022 700 2843.
- Saturday 1st November 2014: Halloween celebration at the Ludothèque de St-Prex in Vaud (1st floor Centre du Vieux-Moulin, avenue de Taillecou). From 10am to 11.30am little ones can join in – dress-up in their scariest costumes of course! – and collect sweets or try the hot pumpkin soup, there will also be a little surprise for all children.
- 1st-2nd November 2014: as the Quais du Dahlia in Morges (VD) draws to a close, all is ready for the massive sale of dahlia bulbs which will be taking place on Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd of November. From 10am to 4pm there will be hundreds of dahlia bulbs on sale at the Jardins du Château de Morges, so make sure you stock up for next year! Each bulb will be sold for 5CHF.
- until 2nd November 2014: kids activities during school holidays at Vitam’ in Neydens (France), including baby swimming, dance lessons, “escalade” and bébés grimpeurs.
- Sunday 2nd November 2014: Halloween at the Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy (VD). Get your little monsters in their ghosts & witches gear for this fantastic family event starting at 10am. The day’s programme will include clown performances at 10am, freaky face painting from midday and a free show at 3pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Sunday 2nd November 2014: Halloween event at the Hotel d’Angleterre in Geneva (Quai du Mont-Blanc 17). Enjoy a delicious Halloween-themed afternoon tea while your little ones take part in trick or treat activities, watch an Halloween puppet show or have balloon sculptures made for them. The Halloween afternoon tea is available from 2pm until 6pm; the price is 52CHF for adults and 26CHF per child, bookings must be made in advance at +41 (0) 22 906 5514 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can’t make it on the 2nd of November, you could also enjoy a Halloween-themed afternoon tea (without kids activities) until the 2nd of November.
- Sunday 2nd November 2014: Sunday Brunch at Green Spot vegetarian & vegan café Geneva (Blvd Carl-Vogt, 30). Green Spot will celebrate its 5th anniversary with a special brunch, they will offer 2 seatings: one from 10am to midday and one from 12.15 to 2.15pm, places must be booked by the 31st of October at 022 320 02 30. There price is 26CHF for adults and 13CHf for kids (drinks not included except the first one). Kids are welcome although there won’t be any special activities set up for them, but if you’ve been looking for some scrummy veggie & vegan food in Geneva this is the place to go!
- until 2nd November 2014: “Les reptiles du monde”, a snakes & reptiles exhibition at Geneva Palexpo with over 400m specimens, including a 4 meters-long snake and “Tom & Jerry” a snake with 2 heads! Daily activities include reptile feeding and demonstrations of how venom is extracted. Entry tickets are 17CHF for adults and 10CHF for kids.
SAVE THE DATE:
- Saturday 8th November 2014: La Nuit des Chocottes, a super-scary Halloween night in Divonne-les-Bains (France). Read our recent post to find out all about it!
- Saturday 8th November 2014: Les enfants inaugurent le MEG, a great opening party at the newly re-opened Musée d’ethnographie de Genève (Bd Carl-Vogt 65-67) entirely focused on children. From 2pm to 6pm little visitors will be welcomed at this grand – but mostly FUN! – opening with little scrumptious treats, music activities, arts & crafts workshops, story times and much more. FREE ENTRY. The full programme is now available to download in .pdf format.
- until 7th November 2014: “Le blobterre de Matali & inter-actions végétales”, a fantastic installation by the French designer Matali Crasset at the Galeries du Forum Meyrin (5, place des Cinq-Continents). The first element of the installation “le Blobterre de matali” has been devised by l’Atelier des enfants du centre Pompidou in the shape of an artificial garden where little ones can explore and let their imagination run free. This is a great interactive exhibition the kids will love and is suitable from age 5. The second part entitled “Inter-actions végétales“, is in the shape of a house-greenhouse where indoor and outdoor living blend seamlessly. Entry to both exhibitions is free of charge and is open to the public Wednesday to Saturday from 2pm to 6pm. There will be a family workshop with the designer herself on the 18th of October at 9.30am. The workshop is 8CHF per person, no advance booking required.
- until 30th November 2014: La Maison des Jouets, a great exhibition of vintage toys at the Musée Alexis Forel in Morges (Grand-Rue 54). From mechanical toys to dolls, play kitchens and teddy bears this fab exhibition will take you on a fascinating journey through the history of toys & childhood play. Open Wednesday to Sunday from 2pm to 6pm.
- Not technically Sunday Brunch as such, but the team at Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy have come up with a fantastic idea: every Sunday until the 14th of December 2014 you’ll be able to enjoy a continental breakfast for 7CHF per person, accompanied by kids’ shows and activities free of charge. Breakfast will be served from 9am at the park’s restaurant and the “Sunday Funday” activities will begin at 10am, with more kids shows at 3pm. No advance booking necessary, all kids activities & shows are free of charge and they will take place regardless of weather conditions. If you’ve never been to Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy, you can read more about it in our previous post – it’s a great place for a family day-out!
- until 4th January 2015: Trop Humain, an exhibition at the Musée International de la Croix-Rouge et du Croissant-Rouge in Geneva (Avenue de la Paix 17). This selection of works that look at the suffering inflicted by human beings on other human beings is the result of a collaboration between the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum and the Mamco in Geneva. As the official website quotes: “A set of exhibits has been put together that range from historical scenes from the First World War by Otto Dix, through an etching by Pablo Picasso and a painting by Zoran Mušič, to more recent creative activity, illustrated, for example, by the bodies in pain of Louise Bourgeois (1998). The exhibition provides an opportunity to delve into the history of the world and of humanity by embarking on a veritable journey through modern and contemporary art. It includes rare artists, such as Leon Golub and Felix Nussbaum, and even some real finds, such as Nikolai Getman.” Click here for the complete list of all activities linked to this exhibition.
- until 11th April 2015: “Dompter la lumière”, a fun interactive exhibition at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle in Geneva about the nature of light and how it can be tamed by reflection, refraction and other phenomena. The children will love the periscopes, kaleidoscopes and mirrors that will repeat images in a never-ending line. Free entry, click here to download the full brochure of the exhibition in English.
- until 25th October 2015: “L’œil nu” a fantastic new exhibition suitable from age 7 at the Espace des Inventions in Lausanne (Vallée de la Jeunesse 1). The exhibition will teach your little ones everything there is to know about sight and vision, through a series of interactive stations. Alongside the exhibition there will also be a series of fun workshops for ages 7 to 12 called “Le Club des petits inventeurs”, from 2pm to 5pm on selected days. Click here to download the list of activities.
- The exhibition “Universe of Particles” at the iconic Globe of Science and Innovation will plunge the little visitors into the fascinating world of the tiniest and biggest particles which make up our universe.From walking through luminous spheres to exploring CERN’s legendary accelerators physics has never been more engaging !Admission to “Universe of Particles” is free, from Monday to Saturday 10am-5pm at the Globe of Science and Innovation in Meyrin. Click here for the exhibition brochure.
- The permanent exhibition “Noblesse Oblige” at Prangins Castle is a great day-out for the whole family, take a step back in time with your children to see how a noble Swiss family lived in the 18th century! Find out more about this fantastic family exhibition in our previous post.
It has become much more easier to plan activities with my kids since I discovered your blog !! Your monthly agendas are sooooo useful 🙂
Dear Yolanda, thank you so much for your positive and encouraging feedback! It means a lot to us and we’re really glad you find it useful, please keep in touch. All the best, GFD