The summer holidays have flown by so fast we barely had time to dry out our bathing suits. Already, it’s time to go back to the old routines but don’t worry as there is still a great deal to do with children in this wonderful area during the autumn months so make the most of our events listings for the month of September.
Remember to keep checking our blog on a general basis as we will be updating this post with more events each week. Happy rentrée to all!
- Wednesday 3rd September 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Nos Oiseaux vous parle des oiseaux: fabrication de mangeoires” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Nos oiseaux”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place every Wednesday during the month of September from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- Wednesday 3rd September 2014: The petits rendez-vous at Geneva’s MAMCO continue every Wednesday afternoon in September: suitable for children aged 5 to 10 accompanied by an adult they are free of charge and require no advance booking. The upcoming petits rendez-vous (all in French) will be: Wednesday 3rd Sept. at 3.15pm “Le rocher sous clefs”; Sunday 7th Sept. at 11.15am “Le dessin dans le mur”; Wed. 10th, 17th & 24th of Sept. at 3.15pm. If you have very young children, don’t miss the mini rendez-vous for children aged 2 to 4, accompanied by an adult. The next one will be on Wed. 3rd of Sept. at 3.15pm “Que s’est-il passé ?”. They last approx. 20 minutes and are free of charge (in French, no advance booking required).
- 5th-7th September 2014: “Le livre sur le quai” book festival in Morges (VD) will offer a programme jam-packed with great authors like Daniel Pennac, Val McDermid and Albertine, kids activities, workshops, story-times and a dedicated section for English-speaking writers. The festival’s English programme will include author talks as well as writing workshops for adults and teenagers. Free entry, see the official website for full programme details.
- 5th-7th September 2014: Krouge Festival, free jazz festival in Carouge (Place de Sardaigne), take a look at the official website for details of the great line-up. Free entry.
- 6th September 2014: French Pâtissierie Courses in Thoiry (France). If you have a weakness for French pâtisserie, why not join renowned French maître pâtissier Sébastien BROCARD and his chefs for these new cookery courses starting in September? They take place on Saturday mornings in Thoiry (FR) from 9.30am to 12.30pm and are also suitable for children aged 12+. The price is 75 Euros per person and each course will cover a scrumptious French patisserie such as pâte à choux, brioche, macaroons and chocolate of course! The courses can be booked in English for groups of 6 people. You can download the full programme here.
- 6th September 2014: Fête au village: course de caisse à savon in Commugny (VD). A lovely village festival boasting a super-fun mini car race! The mini cars must be built from small wooden crates, find more info and photos here.
- 6th-7th September 2014: Air 14 show in Payerne, about 1 hour’s drive from #Geneva. The professional pilots from The Swiss Air Force will be performing some amazing acrobatics both individually and in formation to celebrate the air force’s 100th anniversary. Watch the professional pilots push their powerful engines to the limit to produce a magnificent and unique air show. Air14 runs from 7am to 7pm but the planes shows will take place between 9am and midday then from 1.15pm to 5pm. Entry for 1 day is 33CHF for adults and 15CHF for kids, family tickets are 90CHF. Reader Cristina Morillo kindly shared some very useful advice:”The show is great but some tips: there are NO chairs/benches or shadow, so you better bring along a blanket to sit on the floor or a folding chair + sunscreen + hats. They serve food but you can also bring your own. If you have very small children bring along some ear/sound protection. Also highly recommended to leave the venue before 4pm or you might be blocked in traffic (we were stuck in the parking lot for 1hour!). Enjoy!!!”
- Sunday 7th September 2014: Free entry to all museums and exhibitions in Geneva, a special initiative organized by the city of Geneva offering free access to permanent and temporary exhibitions on the first Sunday of every month.
- 7th-10th, 24th, 28th, 30th September 2013: “Little Black Movie September sessions”, a selection of delightful short Japanese movies for children at the Cinémas du Grütli in Geneva (16, rue du Général Dufour); Onex, Meyrin, Maison CIViQ and Chêne-Bourg, starting at 3pm or 4.30pm. Check the official website for full details. Ticket prices 5CHF up to the age of 10.
- Tuesday 9th September 2014: “Né pour lire” session from 10am-10.45am) at the BiblioQuartier des Grands-Hutins in Carouge (rue de la Tambourine 3). A fun, relaxed way to introduce your little ones from the age of 6 months to 4 years old to the joys of reading. Free entry, no advance booking necessary and nursing pillows available.
- Tuesday 9th September 2014: “Aux Milles Voyages”, song & storytime for little buttons (babies & toddlers) at the Bibliothèque Aux Mille Feuille in Gland (38, grand rue). From 9am to 11am, free entry no advance booking necessary.
- Wednesday 10th September 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Nos Oiseaux vous parle des oiseaux: fabrication de mangeoires” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Nos oiseaux”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place every Wednesday during the month of September from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 10th-14th September 2014: L’Homme de fer, a show suitable from age 7 about the adventures of a man of steel and the king’s son at Le petit théâtre in Lausanne (place de la Cathédrale 12). See the official website for performance times and to book your tickets.
- 10th-14th September 2014: Geneva Yoga Music Festival a great event for all yoga lovers, pooling together an exciting blend of music, yoga, massage and other treats from a wide range of local and international yogis, therapists & musicians. The festival will take place across 5 different locations, all within walking distance from each other. Click here for full programme details and to book your tickets. Namaste everyone
- 11th-14th September 2014: Festival de Bande Dessinée at the Place de la Riponne in Lausanne. Another great event for comic books lovers, with exhibitions, cartoons screenings, meetings with international and Swiss comic artists such as Zep, Albertine and many more. Check the official website for full programme details.
- until 13th September 2014: La Bâtie – Festival de Genève, an unmissable line-up of fantastic concerts, theatre & dance shows, workshops, exhibitions and much more. Don’t miss the F.M. Concert pour les enfants on the 6th of Sept; the Juliette & Romeo puppet show on the 7th of Sept.; the Popup theatre by Belinda Annaloro on the 11th of Sept. or the Tel Quel dance show for kids on the 13th of Sept. – click here for more details on these kids’ shows. Visit the festival’s official website for full programme details and to book your tickets.
- 13th-14th September 2014: Journées européennes du patrimoine 2014 in Geneva, vaud and the rest of French-Speaking Switzerland. This year’s event will have food & gastronomy as its central theme with plenty of activities for everyone: guided tours of the city, special fun workshops for families at the Maison Tavel, the family event Le Musée Ariana se met à table at the Ariana Museum and much more. If you are in Canton Vaud, don’t miss the Découverte de l’art de la table at Prangins castle, with a guided tour by the castle’s 18th century Baron himself and a free tasting of 18th century drinks – free entry. Click here to download the full programme in French.
- Sunday 14th September 2014: The Alimentarium in Vevey will be holding a Family Brunch at the Museum on Sunday 14th of September from 10.30am to 3pm. The priceincludes a cold and hot buffet: adults 40CHF per person, 15 CHF for children aged 5 to 11 and free of charge for kids up to 4. Reserve your places in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org Remember to specify your children’s ages in your email. The Alimentarium makes a great family day-out for all ages: it’s fun, interactive and right opposite the famous giant fork sculpture by Swiss artist Jean-Pierre Zaugg. You can read more about our last visit here.
- Sunday 14th September 2014: Marché d’automne ProSpecieRara, a lovely farmers’ market showcasing vintage seeds and historic produce as well as offering a number of exciting family activities, including a petting farm, treasure hunts and workshops. This autumn market will be taking place at the Parc aux animaux in Sauvabelin, Lausanne from 9am to 5pm. Free entry, click here to see the full programme.
- Sunday 14th September 2014: “Le Château des Jeux”, a fantastic FREE family event at the Musée Suisse du Jeu in La Tour-de-Peilz (VD). From 10am to 6pm discover this great games museum, its gardens and enjoy all the fab activities that will be taking place throughout the day. To find out more about the Musée Suisse du Jeu you can read our previous post.
- Monday 15th September 2014: Journée Comptines. Présentation par Michèle Moreau, a presentation of a new collection of stories for multilingual children entitled “Chansons du Monde” at the Maison de Rousseau in Geneva (40 Grand Rue), starting at 7.30pm. This event is organized by La Librerit kids bookshop in Carouge, entry is free but places must be reserved in advance at 022 343 97 71. Take a look at our previous post to find out more about La Librerit!
- 16th-20th September 2014: Vente de livres, huge book sale at the BiblioQuartier des Grands-Hutins in Carouge (Rue de la Tambourine 3), during their opening hours. Books for adults and children, Cds, DVDs from the library’s collection will be on sale at very discounted prices so make sure you pay them a visit!
- Wednesday 17th September 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Nos Oiseaux vous parle des oiseaux: fabrication de mangeoires” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Nos oiseaux”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place every Wednesday during the month of September from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- Wednesday 17th Sept. 2014: “Super-héros de l’Antiquité”, part of the Mercredis Family at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). Children aged 6 and older accompanied by an adult are welcome every Wednesday at 3pm to discover all about the museum collections in a fun, interactive way. Reserve your places in advance at email@example.com or by phone at 022 418 25 00.
- Wednesday 17th Sept. 2014: Le MAH à tout petits pas – Mercredi Family pour les tout-petits free guided tours for children aged 3 to 5 accompanied by an adult at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva starting at 10.30am. No previous booking required, FREE OF CHARGE.
- until 18th September 2014: Cirque Knie at the Plaine de Plainpalais in Geneva. A fantastic family show from one of Switzerland’s most respected circus companies (and also the largest!) – our friends have been raving about it for weeks now so we will be booking our tickets soon. Click here for full details.
- 18th September 2014: Nuit des Bains in the Quartier des Bains in Geneva. A fantastic art event open to everyone, where you can visit the 12 contemporary art galleries that make this area so fascinating. The event starts at 6pm and is free of charge, click here to download the full programme.
- 18th-28th September 2014: La Semaine du Goût opens its doors across Switzerland to delight our tastebuds with plenty of delicious events focused on food, healthy eating and regional specialties. The number of events and workshops is amazing and too big to list here, so take a peek at their official website to find what’s going on in the area closer to you. Child-friendly activities include workshops and cookery courses , museum workshops and much more.
- Friday 19th September 2014: Concert by the United Nations Orchestra, a free event to celebrate CERN’s 6th anniversary. As the official CERN website states:”Conducted by Antoine Marguier, the United Nations Orchestra will accompany violin maestro Matteo Fedeli, a soloist performing on a Stradivarius under the patronage of the Permanent Mission of Italy to the United Nations Office. The programme includes the overture to Jacques Offenbach’s Orpheus in the Underworld, George Bizet’s Carmen Suite No. 1 and Gioachino Rossini’s William Tell Overture. Free entry, booking required – please see www.cern.ch/voisins for details.”
- 19th-21st September 2014: Féeries de Joux festival, a unique & magical way to discover the natural scenery of the beautiful Vallée de Joux. Discover the world of forest gnomes & fairies, take part in the exploratory walks, story-times and brunch. See the official website for full details.
- 19th-21st September 2014: Cirque Knie at the Place Perdtemps in Nyon. A fantastic family show from one of Switzerland’s most respected circus companies (and also the largest!) – our friends have been raving about it for weeks now so we will be booking our tickets soon. Click here for full details.
- 19th-22nd September 2014: Creative Lausanne at the Halle 2 Expo Beaulieu in Lausanne. This is one of the best arts & crafts fairs in the area, open everyday from 10am to 7pm with many creative workshops and activities. Entry is 14CHF but you can get a discount if you visit the Comptoir Suisse at the same time. Click here for more info.
- 19th-28th September 2014: Comptoir Suisse at the Expo Beaulieu in Lausanne. A unique exhibition in the Suisse romande covering city & country lifestyle, food & wine, travel, home deco and much more. With plenty of activities and workshops for little ones too, check the official website for full details.
- 19th-21st September 2014: Festivités du Bicentenaire celebrations in Plan-les-Ouates. Join in the GE200.ch celebrations with this great line-up of traditional dance shows, parades, kids workshops, brunch on Saturdya morning and a “Bal du Petit citoyen” from age 3 at the Salle Communale, from 4pm to 6pm. Click here to see the full programme details. FREE ENTRY.
- Saturday 20th September 2014: Atelier musical pour les petits – En partenariat avec La Bulle d’air, a great music workshop for ages 2 to 6 at the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in Nyon (8, quai Louis-Bonnard). Organized by La Bulle d’Air, this workshop is only 10CHF per child and will start at 10am. If you have young toddlers you’ll know how difficult it is to find activities for little ones this young so make sure you book your places now at 022 361 09 49 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you miss this workshop don’t worry as there will be 2 more on the 16th and 23rd of October at 10am. You can read more about the MUSÉE DU LÉMAN in our previous post.
- Saturday 20th Sept. 2014: Le MAH à tout petits pas – Mercredi Family pour les tout-petits “Rodin à petits pas”, a special guided tour on the work of French sculptor Auguste Rodin for children aged 3 to 5 accompanied by an adult at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva starting at 10am. The visit costs 5CHF per child and must be booked in advance at 022 418 2500 or by email at email@example.com.
- Saturday 20th Sept. 2014: Tétée géante in Geneva. Stand up for breastfeeding mums and take part in this great event in Plainpalais organized by the Arcade des sages-femmes – the event will offer a kids area, snacks for breastfeeding mums and information about breastfeeding. The event will run from 11am to 3pm on the Plaine de Plainpalais in Geneva.
- 20th September 2014: LE VIÊT NAM A LA JONCTION, a charity event organized by the Maison du quartier de la Jonction in #Geneva in favour of the Association MATA. From 4pm to 9pm enjoy some scrumptious Vietnamese dishes, watch Viet Vo Dao martial art demonstrations as well as traditional dances and songs being performed. What a chance to dscover Vietnam’s fascinating culture without leaving Geneva!
- 20th September 2014: Ça tourne pas rond, a fun theatre show with plenty of great songs in French suitable from age 3, telling the story of the Fée Mandoline and her friend Axl Caramel who want to save the world from pollution and waste. The show begins at 4.30pm at the Salle des Fêtes du Lignon in Vernier (Place du Lignon 16), tickets are 20CHF for adults and 10CHF for children.
- 20th September 2014: Les Ateliers en Fête, a fantastic free event running from 3pm to 10pm on Rue du Léman and Place de la Navigation in Geneva (Pâquis). Organized by Les CréAteliers, the event will offer free trial sessions on a variety of crafts including calligraphy, jewellery making, engraving and much more. There will be food stalls service delicious Portuguese fare and free live concerts from 8pm.
- 20th-21st September 2014: Prenez vos quartiers, a great street festival in the Saint-Gervais neighbourhood in Geneva with live concerts, activities for children, workshops, great food stalls and second-hand sales! Free entry.
- 20th-21st September 2014: Couleurs d’Automne, a great autumn festival in Annemasse (France) hosting a farmers’ market, art exhibitions, kids activities, cookery workshops and much more. Open from 10.30am to 6pm, entry is 2 euros per person (free for children under 15), click here for the full programme.
- 20th-21st September 2014: “LA LEÇON DU MONTREUR”, a fun puppet show suitable from age 5 at the Théâtre des Marionnettes de Genève (Rue Rodo 3). The show is FREE OF CHARGE but places must be booked in advance, see the theatre’s official website to reserve your places.
- 20th-21st September 2014: Fête des vendanges in Russins (Geneva). One of the area’s most famous autumn festivals now in its 51st year, celebrating grape-harvest season with exciting activities for the whole family: from pony rides for the little ones to free tastings of local wines for mum & dad. Don’t miss the fête des enfants on Saturday from 2pm to 5pm and the closing parade on Sunday from 2pm. Free entry, see the official website for full programme details.
- until 21st September 2014: Superman, Batman & co…mics! A great exhibition at the Maison d’Ailleurs (Place Pestalozzi 14, Yverdon-les-Bains) paying tribute to the “comics culture” through the work of 5 contemporary artists: Adrian Tranquilli, Gilles Barbier, Mathias Schmied, Alexandre Nicolas and Audrey Piguet. A fascinating journey through the icons of this modern mythology. Check the official website for more details on guided tours and kids workshops.
- until 21st September 2014: Lausanne Estivale, a great summer festival offering plenty of activities, concerts and more for all ages. The programme will be online at the beginning of June so check their official website for full details.
- until 22nd September 2014: “Animations Jeune Public” everyday at 3pm at the amphitheatre at Signal de Bougy (Parc Pré Vert). The shows are free of charge and take place outside so they will be cancelled in case of rain or bad weather. Weather permitting, the line-up will be as follows: 6th-7th Sept. “Mister Dan”; 11th Sept.(Jeûne Genevois) “Mister Dan”; 13th-14th Sept. “Lulu & Chichili”; 20th-21st & Monday 22nd Sept.(lundi du jeûne)”Gilles Thoraval”.
- Wednesday 24th September 2014: El Magnifico, theatre show for children followed by fun workshops at the Centre des Morettes in Prangins (VD). Doors open at 2pm, the show and workshops will run from 2.30pm to 5.30pm, tickets are 20CHF per child.
- Wednesday 24th September 2014: Animation du mercredi: “Nos Oiseaux vous parle des oiseaux: fabrication de mangeoires” from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Nos oiseaux”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place every Wednesday during the month of September from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 26th September 2014: Science is great fun, so make sure you don’t miss the Popscience Kids Program @FNAC Rive in Geneva. From 4.30pm to 7pm your budding scientists will be able to find out about the recent breakthroughs in particle physics and astronomy and play with science. Suitable from age 3, entry is free but some activities require advance booking:
16:30 Questions about Universe – from age 7
16:30 Build Your Own Particle Detector…with LEGO! From age 3
16:30 Taste liquid nitrogen marshmallows and have Fun with Physics!
16:30 and 17:00 DRAW CERNLAND WITH FIAMI ages 5-12 Book online18:00 Sign-Up Session with Fiami
18:00, 18:30 and 19:00 RUN IN THE ACCELERATOR with SUPER BOB Book online
- 26th-30th September 2014: Festival Mondial des Théâtres de Marionnettes in Charleville-Mézières (France). A unique event, well worth the drive from Geneva. Check the official website for full programme details of this international festival which will delight the whole family.
- 27th September 2014: don’t miss this year’s Désalpe de St-Cergue, the Alpine cattle descent in St-Cergue (VD). This one of Switzerland’s most famous traditional festivals and makes a fantastic day out for the whole family. To the drone of alphorns, the crack of whips, the beat of folk music and the dexterity of flag throwers, herdsmen and their cows return to the village for the winter from their summer in the alpine meadows. Read more about previous editions of this event in our previous post.
- 27th September 2014: Portes Ouvertes caserne des sapeurs pompiers de Thônex, a fantastic open day at Thônex fire station. From 11am to 8pm your little aspiring firemen (& girls!) will be able to visit the station and take part in many activities and workshops. FREE ENTRY.
- 27th September 2014: “La plaine de jeunes”, a free event at the Plaine de Plainpalais in Geneva. From 11am to midnight you will enjoy free live concerts, activities and games from a number of youth associations in Geneva.
- 27th September 2014: fête sur le thème de l’Ombre et de la Lumière at the BiblioQuartier des Grands-Hutin (Rue de la Tambourine 3). From 5pm there will be arts & crafts workshops for kids, face-painting, a screening of Michel Ocelot « Princes et Princesses » in French, followed by a buffet and a moving shadows show called « Le Vaillant Petit Tailleur »by the theatre company Trois langues (from age 7, places must be reserved in advance for the 9pm or 10pm show). This event is FREE OF CHARGE but places must be reserved in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 27th September 2014: Nuit des épouvantails in Morges (VD). For all the little monsters in our household Halloween can never come soon enough. Imagine our delight then when I read about the upcoming Nuit des épouvantails (Night of the Scarecrows), which will be taking place in Morges on Saturday 27th of September 2014. Legend has it that back in 1387, the scarecrows from the countryside around Morges came to life and started terrorising the wine-growing families in the region, thus preventing them from picking the grapes which were ripe for harvest. The villagers were only able to break the evil spell when they managed to set fire to the king of the scarecrows. If you’d like to take a look at the full programme, please click here: as you can see it will be a fun (or rather fear…?) packed day, starting in the morning with a village market, followed by the wine-makers parade at 5.15pm, scary story-telling and fireworks from 8.30pm. Last but not least: remember to dress up in your scariest costumes !
- 27th September 2014: La Nuit des Musées in Lausanne & Pully (VD). Discover Lausanne & Pully’s museums under a different light & enjoy the special activities planned for Museum Night. See the official website for full details.
- 27th-28th September 2014: Marché d’automne at the Domaine d’Avenex in Nyon (follow the sign for the “Panier Gourmand” as you take the Nyon motorway exit). From 9am to 5pm you will be able to pick-your-own fruit in the farm’s orchards, buy produce from local farmers and stock up on Halloween pumpkins! FREE ENTRY.
- Sunday 28th September 2014: Autumn harvest in Morges (VD), autumn is grape harvest time and, following a request from our reader Stephanie, we’ve discovered that the Domaine de la Ville de Morges (VD) will be holding a great event on Sunday 28th of September where children, families and visitors will be able to take part in the harvest, visit the winery and then enjoy a cold buffet for lunch. The event runs from 9.30am to 3pm, tickets are 45CHf for adults; 25CHF for children aged 6-16 and 10CHF for children under 5. Advance booking is mandatory at infomorges-tourisme.ch or by phone at 021 801 32 33.
- Sunday 28th September 2014: Atelier Kokeshi avec Annelore Parot from 10.30am to 12pm at La Librerit kids bookshop in Carouge (1bis Pl. du Marché). Meet the famous creator of the cute Kokeshi dolls and learn to draw your own, entry is free but places must be reserved in advance at 022 343 97 71. Take a look at our previous post to find out more about La Librerit!
- Sunday 28th September 2014: Déjeuner sur l’herbe et marché à l’ancienne at Prangins Castle (VD) from 10am to 5pm. A fantastic family event in 18th century costumes, inspired by the castle’s long history: you’ll be able to meet the Baron and his family, kick back and enjoy some live music in the castle’s beautiful gardens and also purchase local produce at the old-style market stalls. Read all about last year’s edition here.
- until 28th September 2014: Rodin: L’accident. L’aléatoire, an exhibition showcasing 80 works of art from French sculptor Auguste Rodin at the Musée d’art et d’histoire in Geneva (Rue Charles-Galland 2). There will be a guided tour in English on the 20th of September as well as an activity in French for children aged 3 to 5 accompanied by an adult called “Rodin à petits pas”. Click here for full details.
- until 28th September 2014: Papiers découpés. Scherenschnitte. Silhouette. Paper cuts, a new exhibition at the Château de Prangins (VD) focusing on contemporary and historical paper-cuts. As their website explains: “Ranging from the abstract to the figurative and the dazzlingly colourful to the austerely black and white, these works are a testament to the expressive richness of a medium that enables artists to suggest the beauty of a landscape and also cast a critical eye over contemporary society. Also featured are paper cuts made by children from the Pestalozzianum Foundation in Zurich between 1930 and 1960, and films by the celebrated German director and pioneer of silhouette animation Lotte Reiniger. At the end of the tour, visitors can take a seat on a silhouette chair and recreate themselves in profile.”
- until 28th September 2014: Exposition Eurêka at the Quartier Libre SIG in Geneva (Pont de la Machine). Another great exhibition for kids where they can have fun whilst discovering how some of the world’s greatest inventions came about. From batteries to light bulbs and computers, they will learn all there is to know about these great scientific discoveries. Free entry.
SAVE THE DATE:
- Saturday 4th October 2014: UEFA Journée Portes Ouvertes, UEFA will be celebrating their 60th anniversary and will be holding an open day at their HQ in Nyon (UEFA et Centre sportif de Colovray, Route de Genève 46). From 9am to 4pm families and visitors will be able to learn more about the home of European football with fun activities, prizes, special screenings and close encounters with famous footballers of the past. Entry is free – a number of sport activities will take place at the Colovray Stadium across the road, your little sporty boots will definitely enjoy it!
- 12th-16th October 2014: Olympic Week at the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. Were you born between 1 July 1999 and 30 June 2006? Good, then this is for you! Sign up for this great festival of sport in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital of the world! Get ready for five days of fun and sport during your holidays: more than 30 activities on offer at The Olympic Museum and in the Olympic Park for children aged 8 to 15. From archery to taekwondo, including bobsleigh, and not forgetting a tour of the brand new Olympic Museum. Click here to download the full programme in French, all sports activities are free of charge and MUST be booked in advance before the 3rd of October 2014 – click here for the online registration form.
- until October 2014: Les Quais du Dahlia, a wonderful dahlias exhibition along the lakeside in Morges. See over 2,250 gorgeous dahlia flowers bloom in hundreds of varieties all along the Quai Igor Strawinsky in Morges (VD). A truly stunning view along the town’s lakeside. Read all about it in our previous post.
- 10th October-21st December 2014: Titanic, a fantastic new exhibition coming up at Geneva’s Palexpo which will tell the real-life stories of its passengers and display artefacts including personal belongings of passengers and crew. Not only that, but reconstitutions of the Great Staircase and the First Class Cabins will give you a feeling of what it was like to be on board a the time. Tickets are 22CHF for adults and 16CHF for children aged 6 to 15; family tickets are 64CHF – advance booking is recommended as this event will be very popular!
- until 17th October 2014: “Les Créateliers animent le square Monthoux” kids activities & workshops at the square Monthoux in Geneva (32 rue de Monthoux) for children aged 2 to 12 on Monday and Thursday afternoon and on Saturdays. Check the official website for full details.
- until 19th October 2014: Ethnopalmes, fun & interactive exhibition at the Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques in Geneva, unveiling all the many uses that palm trees can provide us with. Click here to download the full programme of family activity and workshops linked to the exhibition.
- until 31st October 2014: Veni, Vidi, Ludique, a fascinating exhibition about toys and childhood games in ancient Rome held at 3 locations: the Musée romain de Nyon, Musée Suisse du Jeu and the Musée romain de Vallon. Discover what kept children entertained in ancient Rome and hw their toys were made, from rattles for babies to dolls and dice games made out of animal bones. Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to pm at the Musée romain de Nyon.
- until 30th November 2014: La Maison des Jouets, a great exhibition of vintage toys at the Musée Alexis Forel in Morges (Grand-Rue 54). From mechanical toys to dolls, play kitchens and teddy bears this fab exhibition will take you on a fascinating journey through the history of toys & childhood play. Open Wednesday to Sunday from 2pm to 6pm.
- Not technically Sunday Brunch as such, but the team at Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy have come up with a fantastic idea: every Sunday until the 14th of December 2014 you’ll be able to enjoy a continental breakfast for 7CHF per person, accompanied by kids’ shows and activities free of charge. Breakfast will be served from 9am at the park’s restaurant and the “Sunday Funday” activities will begin at 10am, with more kids shows at 3pm. No advance booking necessary, all kids activities & shows are free of charge and they will take place regardless of weather conditions. If you’ve never been to Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy, you can read more about it in our previous post – it’s a great place for a family day-out!
- until 11th April 2015: “Dompter la lumière”, a fun interactive exhibition at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle in Geneva about the nature of light and how it can be tamed by reflection, refraction and other phenomena. The children will love the periscopes, kaleidoscopes and mirrors that will repeat images in a never-ending line. Free entry, click here to download the full brochure of the exhibition in English.
- until 25th October 2015: “L’œil nu” a fantastic new exhibition suitable from age 7 at the Espace des Inventions in Lausanne (Vallée de la Jeunesse 1). The exhibition will teach your little ones everything there is to know about sight and vision, through a series of interactive stations. Alongside the exhibition there will also be a series of fun workshops for ages 7 to 12 called “Le Club des petits inventeurs”, from 2pm to 5pm on selected days. Click here to download the list of activities.
- The exhibition “Universe of Particles” at the iconic Globe of Science and Innovation will plunge the little visitors into the fascinating world of the tiniest and biggest particles which make up our universe.From walking through luminous spheres to exploring CERN’s legendary accelerators physics has never been more engaging !Admission to “Universe of Particles” is free, from Monday to Saturday 10am-5pm at the Globe of Science and Innovation in Meyrin. Click here for the exhibition brochure.
- The permanent exhibition “Noblesse Oblige” at Prangins Castle is a great day-out for the whole family, take a step back in time with your children to see how a noble Swiss family lived in the 18th century! Find out more about this fantastic family exhibition in our previous post.
SUNDAY BRUNCH, LAKE BEACHES, POOLS, LIDOS & PLACES TO VISIT:
- Take a look at our previous post to find all the best child-friendly places to enjoy a delicious and stress-free Sunday brunch with your little buttons.
- If it’s a scorcher, what about a scrumptious “brunch in the sun” with the family?
- We’ve discovered some great lake beaches in Préverenges and Saint-Prex: they are free and great for kids! For more great pools & lidos in the area, take a look at our previous post.
- Is it Sunday ? Is it raining again and you don’t know what to do with your energetic little monkeys ? Find some ideas and suggestions here or read our review of the indoor playcentre C L’Aventure in Annemasse.
- Spring is a fantastic time to explore Switzerland and its picturesque villages. Read our previous post for suggestions about great days out with the kids.
- When the sun is out, why not take the boat across the lake to visit the medieval village of Yvoire in nearby France?
- A bit further away but definitely worth a visit is the French village of Pérouges, it’s a great family day out.