The best season of the year is in full swing, whether you’ll be away, working or spending more time with your little ones, there is plenty to do in the area for families who wish to enjoy this lovely and sunny time of the year.
Remember to keep checking our blog as we will be updating this post with more events each week.
SUMMER ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS:
If your children love performing, singing and dancing, then take a look at the great choice of summer camps in English available at Simply Theatre Academy.
You can find out more about Simply Theatre and all their courses in our recent post.
11th-13th August 2016: Manga for Teens at Life of Art in Geneva. The classes are suitable for children aged 10 to 15 and last 2 hours each, from 1pm to 3pm. The price for a 3 day workshop is 180CHF per child. To book your summer workshops, please email Life of Art at email@example.com or call 022 525 5232.
18th-20th August 2016: Papier Mâché & My Scrapbook summer workshops for kids at Life of Art in Geneva. The classes are suitable for children aged 8 to 12 and last 2 hours each. The price for a 3 day workshop is 180CHF per child. To book your summer workshops, please email Life of Art at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 022 525 5232.
- Free summer activities for all ages in Sécheron, les Minoteries, Petit-Sacconex, Seujet, Délices et Saint-Jean. You can download the complete list here.
- Free paddling pools (pataugeoires in French) for children under the age of 7, open from May to September.
- Free lake beaches: try baby plage in Eaux-Vives or the plage du Reposoir in Pregny-Chambésy (Route de Lausanne 222).
- Free zoos at the Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques in Geneva and the Bois-de-la-Bâtie. The bonus is that both have great playgrounds to match!
BEACHES, POOLS & LIDOS
Enjoy summer at some of the best lake beaches, outdoor pools and lidos in the area. You’ll find some useful links in our previous post and articles about Nyon plage; Plage de Rolle; Plage de Préverenges and St-Prex.
The Piscine des Vergers in Meyrin (Avenue Louis-Rendu) has an outdoor olympic size pool, a paddling pool, water slide and a bassin “non-nageur” for beginners. The piscine is open from May until the end of September (everyday from 10am to 8pm).
If it’s a real scorcher, why not take the kids to the Parc de l’Auberge in Meyrin, with its fantastic water jets and tipping buckets? Entry is FREE.
Genève-Plage (Quai de Cologny 5, Port-Noir) is a Geneva institution. There’s no better place to be with your little swimmers on a hot, sunny day so make the most of the swimming-pools, water slides, sandpit and play area – don’t forget your sun cream!
Hot summer’s days are perfect for a pedalo boat ride on Lake Léman too. In Geneva, you can hire a pedal-boat from Les Corsaires (near the Jet d’Eau) at 14CHF per adult. Click on this link to find other boat rental locations in Vaud.
Vitam’ (500 route des Envignes, Neydens, France) is a great waterpark for hot summer’s days: there are indoor and outdoor pools, as well as great waterslides for all ages. Children aged 6 to 12 can also enrol for the summer swimming school, which runs from the 11th of July to the 26th of August 2016 (each course is 5 days).
Try the new tipping buckets and water sprays at Forestland in Divonne-les-Bains! You can find out more about it in our previous post.
The Plage du Lac in Divonne-les-Bains is open until the end of August. A 350m lovely sandy beach on the shore of the Lac de Divonne, it’s a great place for families with young children. They have a buvette, a kids play area, toilets and they offer swimming lessons, canoë, kayak & pedalo rentals. An entry fee is charged, around 3 Euros per person and 2 Euros for children.
The Centre Nautique in Divonne-les-Bains (France) is an outdoor pool open until the 4th of September 2016. A great place to cool off on a hot summer’s day! Contact them on email@example.com for full details and prices. Centre Nautique – 282 avenue des Alpes, Divonne-les-Bains. Tel. +33(0)4 5020 3785 firstname.lastname@example.org
The toy library buses called LUDOBUS are back in Geneva! From the 8th of May until the end of summer the red and blue ludobus will be travelling to different parks in Geneva to keep the little ones entertained in the afternoon from 4pm to 6.30pm (from 5.30pm to 7pm during the summer holidays). FREE ENTRY, activities are free for children.
You can click here to download the exact dates and locations for both ludobus covering Servette; St-Jean; Petit-Saconnex; Plainpalais; Jonction; Acacias; Pâquis; Grottes; St-Gervais; Eaux-Vives; Champel and Cité.
SUNDAY BRUNCH, DAYS OUT & MORE FAMILY FUN
- Take a look at our previous post to find all the best child-friendly places to enjoy a delicious and stress-free Sunday brunch with your little buttons.
- If it’s a scorcher, what about a scrumptious “brunch in the sun” with the family ?
- Summer is the perfect season for picnics too, here’s some of our favourite spots – what are yours ?
- Now that the sun is out, why not take the kids to pick-their-own veggies at the farm? Find out more about “libre service” farm markets in our previous post.
- Want to know how to survive a rainy Sunday ? Find some ideas and suggestions here.
- Spring is a fantastic time to explore Switzerland and its picturesque villages. Read our previous post for suggestions about great days out with the kids
- If you’re planning a holiday or a short break, here’s some places our little ones have loved: Papiliorama in Kerzers (CH); Ballenberg Open Air Museum (CH); Bern (CH); Thun (CH); Pérouges (France); Lyon (France); Versailles (France); Dijon (France); Aosta (Italy); LEGOLAND in Windsor (UK) and many more charming places to see in Switzerland.
- When the sun is out, why not take the boat across the lake to visit the medieval village of Yvoire in nearby France?
- A bit further away but definitely worth a visit is the French village of Pérouges, it’s a great family day out!
AUGUST 2016 LISTINGS:
- 1st August 2016: Swiss National Day is a national bank holiday and it celebrates the founding of the Swiss Confederation. It’s a great idea to book a brunch at the farm, or alternatively join in the celebrations at Signal de Bougy (from 3pm until 10.30pm, with live music, free shows and fireworks at 10pm); at the Parc des Bastions in Geneva (from 3pm until 12.30am, with live concerts, donkey rides for children, Swiss wrestling demonstrations, DJ sets); on the Esplanade de la Salle des fêtes in Carouge (from 6pm until 11pm, with live music, lantern parade and merry-go-round for children, Swiss wrestling demonstrations and fireworks at 9.30pm) or at the Esplanade de Montbenon in Lausanne for their famous picnic of the 1st of August (from 11am until 11pm, with activities and workshops for kids. FREE ENTRY).
- 1st August 2016: Swiss National Day in Vaud. Here’s a great list of all Swiss National Day celebrations in la Côte area, commune by commune (with Morges following soon!), from the official website of La Côte newspaper (the article is in French). Don’t miss the fireworks at 10pm in Nyon, Prangins, Crassier, Borex & Saint-Cergue; at 10.30pm in Crans-près-Céligny.
- 1st-12th August 2016: Lounge Music Festival in Les Gets (France). Enjoy 36 free music concerts covering jazz, swing, funk in this gorgeous mountain resort. You certainly know Les Gets in winter, but summer is a great season too! The festival will offer plenty of great activities, workshops and games for kids too. FREE ENTRY.
- 2nd-6th August 2016: “Les fondues du Macadam” in Thonon (France), a fabulous festival that will delight the whole family with its varied programme of circus and theatre shows, clowns, acrobats, live music and much more. See the official website for full programme details and to book your tickets.
- 2nd-25th August 2016: expats and foreigners living in Geneva can attend free French classes at the Parc la Grange. Classes will take place Monday to Thursday from 4pm until 6pm. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking required. If you have children aged 0 to 12, you can bring them along too as there will be story times, games and creative workshops for children to allow parents and carers to attend their French classes.
- Wednesday 3rd August 2016: Chauves-souris – Animation du mercredi, Wednesday FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Wednesday 3rd August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- 3rd-7th August 2016: “Lulu et Chichili” at the Parc Pré Vert du Signal de Bougy, free clown show for kids starting at 2pm. The show will take place at the amphiptheatre, or in the Salle Mont-sur-Rolle in case of rain. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking necessary.
- 4th-14th August 2016: Geneva Lake Festival. The traditional Fêtes de Genève (Geneva’s summer festival) are back this year under a different name but the highly successful mix of world food, fun rides, attractions and entertainment for everyone remains at its very core. Don’t miss the spectacular fireworks display on Saturday 13th August at 10pm. There will be plenty of entertainment for little ones too with funfairs, merry-go-rounds and much more all along the Geneva lakeside.
- 5th-6th August 2016: Aqua Party at the piscine de Morges (VD). Bouncy castles, water games, BMX demos and live music from 6pm until 1am. Entry is 5CHF per person.
- Saturday 6th August 2016: Marché Folklorique at the Place de l’Eglise in Morges (VD). A stunning little market filled with Swiss-made products, delicacies and souvenirs as well as great activities for the whole family. Open from 9am to 2pm, with live Swiss music, the Cor des Alpes choir, face-painting for kids and St. Bernard dogs to cuddle!
- Sunday 7th August 2016: enjoy a unique tour of the city on the Geneva Historical Trams leaving from the Rive tram stop. A great way to see the city with young children — they will love riding the old city trams! During the summer, on the first Sunday of every month these “Trams touristiques” will be circulating from Carouge to Nations, Gare Cornavin, Eaux-Vives and the city centre. Tickets for a single ride are 8CHF and 12CHF for a day pass, children aged 6 to 16 pay a reduced fee.
- Sunday 7th August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- until 7th August 2016: “Au pays des enfants” kids festival in the Pays-d’Enhaut, Switzerland (communes of Château-d’Oex, Rougemont and Rossinière). The programme includes over 100 shows and plenty of creative workshops for children of all ages. A great family day-out in the beautiful setting of the Pays-d’Enhaut! Vist the official website for full programme details in all 3 communes and to buy your tickets. If you have a Coop Hello Family card you can claim a 20% discount.
- 9th-30th August 2016: Chinese Painting classes at Life of Art in Geneva. The classes will run every Tuesday from 10am until midday. The course costs CHF 499 per person (includes 8 classes – each class 2 hours – all your equipment is supplied). To book your Chinese Painting Workshop, please email Life of Art at email@example.com or call 022 525 5232.
- Wednesday 10th August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Wednesday 10th August 2016: Chauves-souris – Animation du mercredi, Wednesday FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- 10th-21st August 2016: Lausanne-sur-mer, free sports activities from Wednesday to Sunday on Avenue Emile-Henri-Jaques-Dalcroze 7 in Lausanne. Activities include Badminton, Kayak*, Volley, Football, Paddle*, Parkour, Planche à voile*, Tennis de table, Babyfoot, Slackline, Pétanque, Tennis. Activities with an * require parental consent and a nominal fee. Click here to see the full programme.
- 13th August 2016: Midsummer festival in St-Cergue. Join in the celebrations of this lovely Swiss festival and watch the cow parades and pig races. FREE ENTRY, the festival starts at 9.45am with the cow parade and will end with a traditional dance in the evening.
- until 13th August 2016: RiveJazzy Nyon, a great music festival dedicated to traditional jazz music, swing, as well as latino & gipsy music. Concerts takes place in the Quartier de Rive in Nyon during the months of July and August (except during the Paléo Festival), but they might be cancelled in case of rain or bad weather. Entry is free of charge for all and there are plenty of delish options to combine dinner with some great live music. Visit the official website for full programme details and performance times.
- 13th-14th August 2016: La Fête Médiévale – Château de Grandson (VD). The Château de Grandson in Vaud is one of our favourites Swiss castles and on the 13th-15th of August it will come to life with a superb medieval festival. Go if you can: the kids will love it and the adults too! The festival will run from 2pm to 11pm on Saturday 15th and from 10am to 5pm on Sunday. Entry is 12CHF for adults and 5CHF for children aged 6 to 16.
- Sunday 14th August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- 14th August 2016: Restaurant Day in Lausanne. Everyone can become chef for a day! Come and enjoy 21 pop up restaurants proposed by local people who just love cooking. Mini-burgers, tapas, Columbian food, urban food…just take your pick of what will be presented in various places across the City of Lausanne, including private homes. See the official website for the complete list of all pop-up restaurants, from Cuban cuisine, family brunch to vegan and TexMex cuisine.
- until 14th August 2016: Peppiland, bouncy castles and water games on the Place des sports in Morges (VD). Open everyday from 11am until sunset (from 2pm until sunset on Wednesdays). Entrance fee.
- until 16th August 2016: the Montreux Jazz Festival is one of the most eagerly-awaited music festival in Switzerland and this year’s edition will not disappoint with some great free concerts as well as ticketed ones featuring artists such as Muse, Patti Smith, PJ Harvey, Jamie Cullum, Santana, Deep Purple, Lana del Rey and many more. Tickets sell out fast, so check availability online now ! A free daycare is located directly opposite the Music & Convention Center in the German Church (between the gas station and the Palace). Professional child-carers look after children aged 3 to 10, from 2pm-1am from Sunday to Thursday, 2pm-2am on Friday and Saturday. Children can stay a maximum of 4 consecutive hours.
- 16th-19th August 2016: Vacances à la romaine, kids workshops in French for ages 7 to 12 at the Musée Romain de Nyon (9 rue Maupertuis). These fun sessions will look at the history and customs of ancient Rome, from mosaic art to unravelling ancient coded messages. Running from 2pm to 4pm all week, they cost 16CHF per child and must be reserved in advance at 022 361 75 91 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday 17th August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Wednesday 17th August 2016: Chauves-souris – Animation du mercredi, Wednesday FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Friday 19th August 2016: Art Jamming, organized by Life of Art at La Fabrique bistrot in Geneva. But what is Art Jamming exactly? It’s a new way to get creative whilst socializing and making new friends! Art jamming is all about creating art in a fun environment, with great music to inspire you and drinks at hand. In a group of about 10 people, our in house artist/teacher will create a painting in front of you, guiding you step by step through the different stages and techniques so that you can follow at the same time on your own canvas. So even if you are a beginner you can still join in the fun. It’s a 2 hour workshop where all materials are supplied and you get to take home your canvas. Meet and greet at the Bistrot La Fabrique, just opposite the Life of Art studio, at 18:00. For more information and to reserve a place contact Lisa Anderson at Life of Art on +41 22 525 5232 or by email at email@example.com
- until 19th August 2016: Musiques en été in Geneva, an impressive series of 36 live concerts covering all possible music genres and taking place in some of the city’s most picturesque spots. From jazz to classical, rock and hip hop you will definitely be spoilt for choice. The best thing about it all? All the Musiques colorées live concerts at the Scène Ella Fitzgerald (parc de La Grange) are free of charge!
- 19th-21st August 2016: Don’t miss the “Fête des Pirates de Rive” in Nyon this weekend! With great activities for children, a pirate village, live music and the “brocante de Rive-Nyon”, it’s going to be a fab day-out for the whole family. FREE ENTRY.
- 19th-21st August 2016: the Festival des artistes de rue in Vevey’s old town (VD) will welcome international street artists from all over the world exhibiting their acting. musical, juggling, circus and even fire-eating skills. See the official website for further info, entry is free but artists will ask for donations at the end of each performance.
- Saturday 20th August 2016: “Féerie d’une Nuit”, a great family day-out at Signal de Bougy (VD) dedicated to our Solar System and the fascinating world of astronomy. From 3pm until 2am there will be plenty of fun activities to keep everyone entertained: from conferences to kids workshops, planetarium and meteorites stand. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking required.
- Sunday 21st August 2016: 3 Contes de Grimm, fairy tales in music for little ones aged 4+ at Signal de Bougy (VD), starting at 3pm. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking necessary. The show will take place at the amphitheatre or at the Salle Mont-sur-Rolle in case of rain.
- Sunday 21st August 2016: Abeilles, truites & Cie – Animation enfants FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- until 21st August 2016: CinéTransat is one of the Geneva’s best-loved summer events and it’s easy to understand why: every evening at dusk they show a selection of great movies (free of charge!) in the wonderful setting of the Parc de la Perle du Lac, you can bring your own picnic and enjoy a lovely evening out with family and friends. But this is not all: they also organize a series of theme and karaoke nights, from disco night to Bollywood, so make sure you dress the part. If you’ve never been, you’ll love this event – if you’ve been, we bet you can’t wait to go back this year. Movies are shown in their original soundtrack with subtitles, so all British & American movies will be in English. Check their facebook page in case of bad weather or rain as the session might be cancelled.
- until 21st August 2016: Yatouland Vernier Summer, special summer opening at the Parc Yatouland in Vernier (chemin des Batailles 22). Open Wednesday to Sunday from 11am to 6pm, with bouncy castles, lasergames and plenty of fun on offer!
- 21st-26th August 2016: Festival Au Bonheur des Mômes in Le Grand Bornand (France) is an international festival dedicated to kids’ shows of every kind, from puppet shows to acrobatics, clowns, dance, juggling and a lot more. As well as great shows and workshops for kids, you will also find dedicated play areas for little buttons with story-time, magic roundabouts etc. If you have older children who’d like to try their hand at something new, register for one of the 26 fun workshops available. Visit the official website for full programme details and to buy your tickets.
- until 22nd August 2016: Histoires en herbe, summer storytime in Plan-les-Ouates for children aged 4 to 10 every Monday and Wednesday morning from 10am to midday. The Monday session will take place outdoors on the Mail in Plan-les-Ouates (near the Mairie) and in case of rain on the steps of the “salle de gym” of the école du Pré-du-Camp. The Wednesday sessions will take place “sur l’herbe”, near the école du Vélodrome (close to the playarea), and in case of rain under the veranda of the Maison Ravy. Free entry, for more info contact Catherine Hostettler on 079 654 51 06.
- 22nd-27th August 2016: Jours d’ouverture aux familles at the Maison de la Créativité in Conches (7, chemin Calandrini). These family activities will take place in the afternoon from 2.30pm to 5pm (on Saturday 27th of August the centre will also be open in the morning from 9.30am until midday). Entry is 3CHF per adult and per child aged 2+.
- Wednesday 24th August 2016: Chauves-souris – Animation du mercredi, Wednesday FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- Wednesday 24th August 2016: If you have children aged 3 to 7 and are looking for music courses for next year, don’t miss the Open day at the COV – Conservatoire de l’Ouest Vaudois in Gland and Rolle on Wednesday 24th of August from 1.15pm until 4.15pm. Little ones aged 3+ will be able to try out Croc’ Musique or Introduction to Music classes free of charge. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking necessary.
- until 26th August 2016: Sortir pour lire, free outdoor activities organized by the Bibliothèques municipales de la Ville de Genève at different locations across town during the months of July and August 2016. From lectures juke-box to Bibliothèques de rue (street libraries) and Livres en herbe (outdoor storytimes in French for younger children), there’s plenty going on for all ages.
- until 26th August 2016: Ateliers d’été par « Les Coloriés » at the Parc Geisendorf and at the Atelier la Poterie in Geneva (rue Poterie 5), summer workshops and courses for children aged 4 to 12. Click here for full details and prices.
- until 26th August 2016: «A toutes saveurs», free summer activities for all ages at the Parc des Franchises in Geneva. From yoga and tai-chi lessons to creative workshops and dance sessions, there will be something for everyone! You download the full programme here. FREE ENTRY to all activities and workshops.
- 26th-28th August 2016: 50e anniversaire de la piscine des Vernets, celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Vernets swimming pool in Geneva. The full programme will be online soon, so make sure you save the date and keep an eye on their facebook event page.
- Saturday 27th August 2016: Petit-déjeuner du terroir en musique at the ferme de Budé in Petit-Sacconex (Geneva). From 9am onwards in the courtyard of La Ferme de Budé you will be able to try yummy delicacies from local producers (including vegan muesli, cheese, tea and juices) while the children take part in free music workshops! FREE ENTRY.
- Saturday 27th August 2016: Samedi des Mômes, special activities for children in Nyon (VD), including chocolate workshops, pony rides, face painting and games. FREE ENTRY, open from 10am until 5pm.
- 27th-28th August 2016: La ville est à vous in Vieusseux (GE), with its great street parties, second-hand sales and activities for children. Take a look at the official website for all upcoming weekends and join in, because the city belongs to you! Here’s the list of all the upcoming street parties in Geneva: 3rd-4th September: Europe; 10th-11th September: Jonction; 17th-18th September: Petit-Sacconex; 23rd, 24th & 25th September: Pâquis; 1st-2nd October: Genêts.
- until 26th August 2016: Wils’ô s’installe sur la place Chateaubriand, free summer activities for all ages on the place Chateaubriand in Geneva, including urban workout demonstrations, live music, games and fun activities for kids from the Pâquis-Sécheron toy library, football and tennis table tournaments and tapas evenings! FREE ENTRY, no activities on Mondays and Tuesdays. Click here to download the full programme.
- Sunday 28th August 2016: Journée portes ouvertes at the Refuge de Darwyn in Sezenove (Geneva). Find out about the great charity work done by the Refuge de Darwyn, meet the horses they are helping and take part in various fun activities. FREE ENTRY, starts at 11am.
- Sunday 28th August 2016: Festival des sports at the piscine de Colovray & sports centre in Nyon (VD). From 10am until 5pm you will be able to try out new sports, watch live demonstrations and take part in many fun activities. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking necessary.
- until 28th August 2016: Cours d’aquagym et la Récré at the Bains des Pâquis in Geneva. The Aquagym classes for adults run every Monday morning from 10.30am until 11.15am and cost just 10CHF per person, the meeting point is at the “rotonde”. If you have littles ones aged 5 to 8, they can join the play group la Récré Monday to Friday from 2pm until 3pm and the price is just 5CHF per child. Meet at “la rotonde”.
- until 28th August 2016: “Aubes musicales” free live concerts from 6am to 7am every morning at the Bains des Pâquis. Enjoy one of Geneva’s finest cultural traditions (summer isn’t summer without these concerts at the Bains) and start your day with some great music!
- until 28th August 2016: Free urban golf at the Parc des Bastions in Geneva. This 9 hole, 4km long golf course is open to everyone until the 23rd of August, 7 days a week from 1pm to 7pm. The free equipment can be picked up at the Parc des Bastions, right next to the kiosque des Bastions (park entry: Place-Neuve). The 9-holes golf court guides you through some of the city’s most emblematic locations such as the Promenade de la Treille, the Jardin Anglais and the Monument Brunswick.
- until 28th August 2016: L’Été à la Jonction, free summer activities for children at the Parc de la baleine in Geneva (rue du village suisse 30-34). Activities include arts & crafts workshops from 2pm until 6pm on Wed. and Thursdays; free open air cinema on Monday 18th and 25th of July at 9.30pm; storytimes for little ones aged 0 to 4 on Saturday 20th and 27th of August at 10am. You can download the full programme here.
- until 28th August 2016: the Tour de plage at the Fontaine des Tours in Carouge (20-22 boulevard des Promenades), opens up again for the summer season. A fantastic spot right in the heart of Carouge, where you will be able to enjoy live concerts and plenty of activities for the little ones, including face painting, giant outdoor games from Carouge’s toy library, Zumba etc. – and all are free of charge. Open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, Tour de plage has too many activities planned to list them all here, so click on the official website for full details.
- until 28th August 2016: Opération chaises longues, a great initiative organized by the city’s public libraries offering mobile book services (livres nomades), free apples, sun loungers and more free activities to allow families, the elders and young people to enjoy Geneva’s beautiful parks to the max. The Opération chaises longues will run everyday from 1pm tp 7pm at the following locations: Parc des Bastions; Parc Trembley; Parc Beaulieu; Parc Bertrand and Parc des Franchises.
- until 28th August 2016: Luge sur rail. Have you tried the sledge on rail at Col de la Faucille (France)? It’s quite a thrill, perfect for a summer weekend. Suitable for children aged 11+, kids aged 5 to 10 must be accompanied by an adult. The ‘luge sur rail’ – one of the biggest in Europe – is open everyday until the 28th of August 2016, from 10.30am until 6pm. The price per person is 6 € or 50 € for 10 tickets, children aged 5 to 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- until 30th August 2016: Serre aux papillons at the Schilliger garden centre in Gland (VD). A fabulous indoor butterfly enclosure that will keep the kids enthralled on a rainy day! With over 19 different butterfly species flying freely in the shop’s flower market, it’s a truly amazing sight. Free entry to the Schilliger store and grounds. Schilliger Gland, route Suisse 40 – open Monday to Friday from 9am until 6.30pm and from 9am until 6pm on Saturday.
- Wednesday 31st August 2016: Chauves-souris – Animation du mercredi, Wednesday FREE workshops for children aged 7+ and accompanied by an adult at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). These free workshops will take place from 2pm until 4.30pm. FREE ENTRY.
- until 25th September 2016: Destination Rio at the Olympic Museum in Ouchy (Lausanne). The Olympic Museum celebrates Rio 2016 with a programme dedicated to the culture of Brazil and Rio, host of the upcoming Olympic Games. This exhibition-adventure takes you on a lyrical tour of the city, which will give you the irresistible urge to dance. The photos, the choice of music and the artwork will convey the incredible energy of the Brazilian people. The programme will kick off during the Carnival in Rio and culminate with the two weeks of the Games in the summer. FREE ENTRY.
- until end of September 2016: the Musée Départemental des Sapeurs-Pompiers in Gex (France) re-opens this Saturday from 9am to midday and then from 2pm to 6pm in the afternoon. The museum is open every Saturday from 9am to 12pm and from 2pm to 6pm until the 26th of September, as well as every Wednesday and Sunday in July and August from 2pm to 6pm. Entry tickets are 5 € for adults and 3 € for kids. Musée Départemental des Sapeurs-Pompiers – 380 avenue des Alpes – 01170 Gex – FRANCE (Tel : 04 50 20 86 97).
- until 30th December 2016: Medieval Factory, interactive exhibition suitable from age 7 at the Espace des Inventions in Lausanne. Discover all the great medieval inventions still in use today! Free entry on the 1st Saturday of each month. Open Monday to Saturday from 2pm to 6pm; Sunday and Bank Holidays from 10am to 6pm. Tickets are 7CHF for adults and 3CHF for children.