The kids’ summer holidays have started — can’t believe how fast this school year has flown by, can you? Whether you’ll be away, working or spending more time with your little ones, there is plenty to do in the area for families who wish to enjoy this lovely and (hopefully) sunny time of the year.
Scroll down to see the list of summer activities in Geneva and Vaud, who said there’s nothing to do in the city during the school break?! Remember to keep checking our blog as we will be updating this post with more events each week.
BEACHES, POOLS & LIDOS
Enjoy summer at some of the best lake beaches, outdoor pools and lidos in the area. You’ll find some useful links in our previous post and articles about Nyon plage; Plage de Rolle; Plage de Préverenges and St-Prex.
The Piscine des Vergers in Meyrin (Avenue Louis-Rendu) has an outdoor olympic size pool, a paddling pool, water slide and a bassin “non-nageur” for beginners. The piscine is open from May until the end of September; everyday from 10am to 8pm.
If it’s a real scorcher, why not take the kids to the Parc de l’Auberge in Meyrin, with its fantastic water jets and tipping buckets? Entry is FREE.
If you’re in downtown Geneva, you can still take the plunge and sunbathe at L’amarr@GE – Bains lacustres sur le Rhône at Pont de la Machine, an amazing floating swimming pool in the shape of the Swiss Confederation flag. This great project forms part of the GE200.ch celebrations — find out more about it in our previous post “200 Years of Swiss History”. The amarr@GE is open from 10.30am to 7.30pm Wednesday to Sunday. Entry is 2CHF for adults and 1CHF for children, water temperature is 28 degrees. The pools have different depths: one is 40cm deep, and the others 110cm et 130cm deep, so it’s great for little swimmers too. Open until September 2015.
Genève-Plage (Quai de Cologny 5, Port-Noir) is a Geneva institution. There’s no better place to be with your little swimmers on a hot, sunny day so make the most of the swimming-pools, water slides, sandpit and play area – don’t forget your sun cream!
Hot summer’s days are perfect for a pedalo boat ride on Lake Léman too. In Geneva, you can hire a pedal-boat from Les Corsaires (near the Jet d’Eau) at 14CHF per adult. Click on this link to find other boat rental locations in Vaud.
The brand new “Psychobloc” (climbing block) at the Bains des Pâquis in Geneva opened officially on Friday 26th of June and it looks fantastic! On this summer’s to-do list: try a little climbing in the lake.
Vitam’ (500 route des Envignes, Neydens, France) is a great waterpark for hot summer’s days: there are indoor and outdoor pools, as well as great waterslides for all ages. Children aged 6 to 12 can also enrol for the summer swimming school, which runs from the 6th of July to the 28th of August 2015 (each course is 5 days).
The Plage du Lac in Divonne-les-Bains is open from the 1st of June to the 31st of August 2015. A 350m lovely sandy beach on the shore of the Lac de Divonne, it’s a great place for families with young children. They have a buvette, a kids play area, toilets and they offer swimming lessons, canoë, kayak & pedalo rentals. An entry fee is charged, around 3 Euros per person and 2 Euros for children.
The Centre Nautique in Divonne-les-Bains (France) is an outdoor pool open from the 17th of May to the 7th September 2015. A great place to cool off on a hot summer’s day! Contact them on firstname.lastname@example.org for full details and prices. Centre Nautique – 282 avenue des Alpes, Divonne-les-Bains. Tel. +33(0)4 5020 3785 email@example.com
Until 30th August 2015: the Château Bleu – Centre Aquatique in Annemasse (France) has a summer programme jam-packed with great activities including baby swimming, aquatraining, waterpolo, diving introductory classes and even story-times for little ones! All activities are included in the price of a single entry, (5 euro for adults, 3,50 euro for kids and free for children under 3). Download the full programme here.
The toy library buses called LUDOBUS are back in Geneva for the summer season! From the 8th of May until the end of summer the red and blue ludobus will be travelling to different parks in Geneva to keep the little ones entertained in the afternoon from 4pm to 6.30pm (from 5.30pm to 7pm during the summer holidays). FREE ENTRY, activities are free for children. You can click here to download the exact dates and locations for both ludobus covering Servette; St-Jean; Petit-Saconnex; Plainpalais; Jonction; Acacias; Pâquis; Grottes; St-Gervais; Eaux-Vives; Champel and Cité.
SUMMER ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
Take a look at our recent post Free summer activities for plenty of ideas and tips on free summer fun for you and the kids!
Key English School offers a wide range of summer camps for children aged 3 to 15, available at various locations in Geneva and Lausanne. Parents are able to choose between full days (from 9am to 5pm) or half days, with morning sessions running from 9am to 12.30pm and afternoon sessions from 1.30pm to 5pm. There will also be a special Tiny Tots camp for 3 to 4 year olds in Vésenaz (Canton Geneva). Find out more about Key English School courses in our previous post.
If your little ones love music, try one of Music Together in Geneva summer courses. Starting on the 6th of July 2015, courses take place at different locations in town: Pâquis, Eaux-Vives, Bernex, Carouge and Geneva downtown. Teachers speak English and French.
July-August 2015: Vacances d’Été, summer activities for kids and teenagers at the Maison Vaudagne in Meyrin. The Animation Grenadine for children aged 7 to 15 will take place every afternoon from 3pm to 7pm and will offer circus and creative workshops, fun games etc. The Entre2 activities for teenagers will run from the 29th of June to the 20th of August 2015 and will include basketball tournaments, baby foot, maquillage and circus shows.
If you live in Lausanne, download this fabulous brochure in French detailing all the summer activities, shows, holiday camps, workshops organized by the city of Lausanne for the little ones. Many are free of charge or require only a nominal fee.
14th-24th July 2015: Accueil libre pour enfants « Les Coloriés » at the Parc Geisendorf in Geneva (rue Poterie 5). From Tuesday to Friday your little ones will be able to take part in these fun creative workshops running from 3.30pm to 6pm with a free snack included. FREE ENTRY.
SUNDAY BRUNCH, DAYS OUT & MORE FAMILY FUN
- Take a look at our previous post to find all the best child-friendly places to enjoy a delicious and stress-free Sunday brunch with your little buttons.
- If it’s a scorcher, what about a scrumptious “brunch in the sun” with the family ?
- Summer is the perfect season for picnics too, here’s some of our favourite spots – what are yours ?
- Now that the sun is out, why not take the kids to pick-their-own veggies at the farm? Find out more about “libre service” farm markets in our previous post.
- Want to know how to survive a rainy Sunday ? Find some ideas and suggestions here.
- Spring is a fantastic time to explore Switzerland and its picturesque villages. Read our previous post for suggestions about great days out with the kids
- If you’re planning a holiday or a short break, here’s some places our little ones have loved: Papiliorama in Kerzers (CH); Ballenberg Open Air Museum (CH); Bern (CH); Thun (CH); Pérouges (France); Lyon (France); Versailles (France); Dijon (France); Aosta (Italy); LEGOLAND in Windsor (UK); Antalya (Turkey) and many more charming places to see in Switzerland.
- When the sun is out, why not take the boat across the lake to visit the medieval village of Yvoire in nearby France?
- A bit further away but definitely worth a visit is the French village of Pérouges, it’s a great family day out!
JULY 2015 LISTINGS:
- 24th June-25th July 2015: Ciné Air, open-air cinema in Rolle (Place du Château). A unique opportunity to watch some great new releases and older movies (including some great kids movies) in a breath-taking setting, very close to the lakeside. Movies start at 9.30pm, check the official website for full details and to book your tickets. Some movies are shown in the French version (VF) and some in the original version with subtitles (VO st).
- 27th-28th June 2015: Don’t miss the 100th year anniversary of the Comité International Olympique this weekend: the Musée Olympique in Ouchy will be free of charge for the entire weekend and you will be able to try your hand at different sports, including curling and archery at the Maison du Sport International and parc Mon-Repos in Lausanne. For younger children there will be clowns, games, storytimes and free shows (in French) at the Casino de Montbenon. FREE ENTRY.
- 27th June-22nd August 2015: “La Roulotte Enchantée et ses spectacles”, a great summer initiative in Lausanne offering free shows, workshops and activities for children in various locations throughout the city. Take a look at the official website for details of their daily locations and activities, make the most of their free workshops and theatre shows.
- 28th June-20th August 2015: Musiques en été in Geneva, an impressive series of 38 live concerts covering all possible music genres and taking place in some of the city’s most picturesque spots. From jazz to classical, rock and hip hop you will definitely be spoilt for choice. The best thing about it all? All the Musiques colorées live concerts at the Scène Ella Fitzgerald (parc de La Grange) are free of charge!
- 29th June-12th July 2015: Bulles d’été, FREE summer activities for children and adults at the Parc André-Chavanne in Geneva, including free French courses for foreign adults, Boxe Thaï and Qi Gong classes, storytimes and outdoor cinema screenings for kids. FREE ENTRY.
- 29th June-19th August 2015: Histoires en herbe, summer storytime in Plan-les-Ouates for children aged 4 to 10 every Monday and Wednesday morning from 10am to midday. The Monday session will take place outdoors on the Mail in Plan-les-Ouates (near the Mairie) and in case of rain on the steps of the “salle de gym” of the école du Pré-du-Camp. The Wednesday sessions will take place “sur l’herbe”, near the école du Vélodrome (close to the playarea), and in case of rain under the veranda of the Maison Ravy. Free entry, for more info contact Catherine Hostettler on 079 654 51 06.
- 29th June-23rd August 2015: Opération chaises longues, a great initiative organized by the city’s public libraries offering mobile book services (livres nomades), free apples, sun loungers and more free activities to allow families, the elders and young people to enjoy Geneva’s beautiful parks to the max. The Opération chaises longues will run everyday from 1pm tp 7pm at the following locations: Parc des Bastions; Parc Trembley; Parc Beaulieu; Parc du Promeneur solitaire; Les Halles de l’Ile; Parc Bertrand (01.07-25.08); Parc Baud-Bovy (16th July-17th August from 11am to 7pm); Bois de la Bâtie; Parc La Grange (28th July-24th August from 1pm to 7pm).
- Wednesday 1st July 2015: Mini & Petits rendez-vous at Geneva’s MAMCO for kids ones aged 2 to 4 (mini rendez-vous) and 5 to 10 (petits rendez-vous) accompanied by an adult. Both sessions will begin at 3.15am and they are free of charge! Introduce your kids to the joys of modern art with these fun, interactive tours. There will be other kids guided tours on Sunday 5th of July 2015 at 11.15am; Wednesday 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th of July 2015 at 3.15pm. No advance booking required.
- Wednesday 1st July 2015: “Avec Galilée dans les étoiles grâce à Fiami” – Animation du mercredi from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Exoplanètes”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 1st & 3rd July 2015: Tout tourne autour du bol – ateliers d’été, summer workshops in French for kids and families at the Ariana Museum in Geneva, in connection with their current exhibition “Luxe, calme & volupté – swissceramics”. The workshops will run from 9am to 5pm: on Wednesday 1st of July for children aged 8 to 13 and on Friday 3rd of July for families. Prices are 70CHF for adults and 60CHF for kids for the whole day. Places must be booked in advance at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 022 418 54 50.
- 1st-31st July 2015: Yoga au Parc. Try a bit of yoga in the park this summer with the following yoga lessons at the Parc Beaulieu, Eaux-Vives and Parc de la Perle du Lac in Geneva. See photo below for exact times. Please bring your own yoga mat and leave a donation if you can after the class. Namaste!
- 3rd-5th July 2015: the countryside moves to the city with the Fête de la tomate in Carouge! With plenty of family-friendly activities like cookery workshops for children, magic and clown shows, a fun roundabout, local produce markets and much more this is definitely a great day-out for the whole family. On Sunday, there will be a family brunch from 10am. Last but not least, there will be a petting farm with goats, cows, ducks and old tractors. FREE ENTRY.
- 3rd July-15th August 2015: RiveJazzy Nyon, a great music festival dedicated to traditional jazz music, swing, as well as latino & gipsy music. It takes place in the Quartier de Rive in Nyon during the months of July and August (except during the Paléo Festival), concerts might be cancelled in case of rain or bad weather. Entry is free of charge for all and there are plenty of delish options to combine dinner with some great live music. Visit the official website for full programme details and performance times.
- 3rd-18th July 2015: the Montreux Jazz Festival is one of the most eagerly-awaited music festival in Switzerland and this year’s edition will not disappoint with some great free concerts as well as ticketed ones featuring artists such as Sam Smith, Mary J.Blige, Paolo Nutini, Portishead, Santana, Lionel Richie, Sinead O’Connor and many more. Tickets sell out fast, so check online now ! A free daycare is located directly opposite the Music & Convention Center in the German Church (between the gas station and the Palace). Professional child-carers look after children aged 3 to 10, from 2pm-1am from Sunday to Thursday, 2pm-2am on Friday and Saturday. Children can stay a maximum of 4 consecutive hours.
- Saturday 4th July 2015: Lake Parade in Geneva. This electro music parade & festival will take over the Geneva lakeside for a fun-filled day. The parade will start from the Parc Mon Repos, along the Quai Wilson and to the Place des Alpes. See their facebook page for full details.
- 4th-9th July 2015: Gex Ciné, open air cinema at the Espace Perdtemps in Gex (France). Screenings will begin at 10pm every evening and will feature great family movies like Jurassic World, Les Minions and Shaun the Sheep.
- 4th-9th July 2015: “Carnets de terrain, carnets de voyages” and “Lorsque la musique se met à danser”, fun workshops for kids at the MEG museum in Geneva (Musée d’ethnographie de la Ville de Genève, Boulevard Carl-Vogt 65-67). The first workshop is suitable from age 12 and teaches how to make travel journals. The second is a dance workshop suitable from age 5. Tickets start from 7CHF, advance booking required at email@example.com
- Sunday 5th July 2015: enjoy a unique tour of the city on the Geneva Historical Trams leaving from the Rive tram stop. A great way to see the city with young children — they will love riding the old city trams! During the summer, on the first Sunday of every month these “Trams touristiques” will be circulating from Carouge to Nations, Gare Cornavin, Eaux-Vives and the city centre. Tickets for a single ride are 8CHF and 12CHF for a day pass, children aged 6 to 16 pay a reduced fee.
- Sunday 5th July 2015: Sunday brunch at the Arboretum in Aubonne (VD). Find out more about this fab national park and their Sunday Brunches in our previous post.
- 5th July-30th August 2015: La baronne Matilda Guiguer reçoit au Château de Prangins, guided tours in period costume at the Château de Prangins (VD). Let 18th century Baroness Matilda Guiguer guide you through the museum’s permanent exhibition “Noblesse oblige!” and learn about her family and children. Guided tours will take place every Sunday during the months of July and August at 1.30pm; 2.30pm and 3.30pm. Entry is 10CHF for adults, 8CHF for ages 16+ and free for children under 16.
- Tuesday 7th July 2015: Atelier de vacances | Chasse au trésor, holiday workshop in French for children aged 7 to 12 at the Château de Prangins – from 2pm to 4.30pm. The cost is CHF 10.- per child, including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 022 994 88 93.
- 6th July-15th August 2015: Body Kids, fun gym classes for kids (in French) at the Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy. Classes take place every Wednesday at 3pm and last 45 minutes, children will learn about good posture, exercise and keep fit this summer! FREE, no advance booking required.
- 7th-12th July 2015: Festival de la Cité in Lausanne. The city’s summer celebrations offer an exciting line-up of over 90 shows, including theatre, dance, live concerts, comedy circus, literature as well as visual and plastic arts. Events will take place across various parts of the town centre, the majority will be in the open-air (so watch out for rain!) and all are free of charge. See the official website for full programme details, this festival is too good to miss!
- Wednesday 8th July 2015: “Avec Galilée dans les étoiles grâce à Fiami” – Animation du mercredi from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Exoplanètes”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 9th July-16th August 2015: CinéTransat is one of the Geneva’s best-loved summer events and it’s easy to understand why: every evening at dusk they show a selection of great movies free of charge in the wonderful setting of the Parc de la Perle du Lac, you can bring your own picnic and enjoy a lovely evening out with family and friends. But this is not all: they also organize a series of theme and karaoke nights, from disco night to Bollywood make sure you dress the part. Find out more about CinéTransat in our 2012 interview with founder and organizer Dan Acher. If you’ve never been, we promise you will love this event – if you’ve been, we bet you can’t wait to go back this year. Movies are shown in their original soundtrack with subtitles, so all British & American movies will be in English. Check their facebook page in case of bad weather or rain as the session might be cancelled. “Porco Rosso” on the 26th of July 2015 (in French) and “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” on the 1st of August 2015 are great movies for kids of all ages.
- Sunday 12th July 2015: La baronne Matilda Guiguer reçoit au Château de Prangins, guided tours in period costume at the Château de Prangins (VD). Let 18th century Baroness Matilda Guiguer guide you through the museum’s permanent exhibition “Noblesse oblige!” and learn about her family and children. Guided tours will take place every Sunday during the months of July and August at 1.30pm; 2.30pm and 3.30pm. Entry is 10CHF for adults, 8CHF for ages 16+ and free for children under 16.
- Sunday 12th & 26th July 2015: Un dimanche d’été en famille, summer brunch for families at the Musée du Jeu at La Tour-de-Peilz (VD). The brunch runs from 12pm to 2pm and will consist of a scrumptious picnic basket, outdoor games for kids aged 6+ and sunloungers for parents! What more can we ask from a summer’s brunch? Places must be booked in advance at 021 977 23 00. Prices are CHF 25.- / for adults and CHF 20.- / per child (ages 6 to 16). Find out more about the Swiss Musée du Jeu in our previous post.
- 13th July-23rd August 2015: “Aubes musicales” free live concerts from 6am to 7am every morning at the Bains des Pâquis. Enjoy one of Geneva’s finest cultural traditions (summer isn’t summer without these concerts at the Bains) and start your day inspired by beautiful music…and a free coffee too!
- Tuesday 14th July 2015: Atelier de vacances | Potager des cinq sens, holiday workshop in French for children aged 7 to 12 at the Château de Prangins – from 2pm to 4.30pm. The cost is CHF 10.- per child, including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 022 994 88 93.
- 14th-24th July 2015: Accueil libre pour enfants « Les Coloriés » at the Parc Geisendorf in Geneva (rue Poterie 5). From Tuesday to Friday your little ones will be able to take part in these fun creative workshops running from 3.30pm to 6pm with a free snack included. FREE ENTRY.
- Wednesday 15th July 2015: “Avec Galilée dans les étoiles grâce à Fiami” – Animation du mercredi from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Exoplanètes”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 15th July-23rd August 2015: Salt Cinema Geneva, open-air cinema at Geneva’s Port Noir. See the official website for full programme details.
- 16th-19th July 2014: “Guitare en Scene” music festival in St Julien-en-Genevois (France). A great music festival for all guitar-lovers, with plenty of international stars set to get the groove going ! See the official website for full details and to buy tickets. Don’t miss Sting live on Saturday 18th and Scorpions on Sunday 19th.
- 16th July-9th August 2015: Fêtes de Genève, the city’s summer festival is on its way with 150 free concerts on three different stages (Club Stage in the heart of the Jardin Anglais; the very popular Funkytown Stage at Baby-Plage and the new Wilson Stage on the Right Bank). There will be plenty of entertainment for little ones too with funfairs, merry-go-rounds and much more all along the Geneva lakeside. Don’t miss the traditional waiters’ race and the amazing firework display on the 8th of August 2015 from 10pm.
- Saturday 18th July 2015: Fête gratuite en ville de Nyon, free party offered by the Paléo Festival team in Nyon. Paléo Festival will be throwing a fabulous party in Nyon on Saturday 18th of July to celebrate its 40th edition. This ‘fête en ville’ – open to all – will be free of charge, with street theatre and shows from 10.30am, live music, DJs and more. Check the link for full details!
- 18th-19th July 2015: Lilibiggs Festivals pour enfants, kids festival sponsored by Migros taking place in Bougy-Villars (Signal de Bougy). Visit the festival’s official website for more details and to book your tickets – you can get a 20% discount on family tickets using your Cumulus card. Entry is free for children under 3.
- Sunday 19th July 2015: La baronne Matilda Guiguer reçoit au Château de Prangins, guided tours in period costume at the Château de Prangins (VD). Let 18th century Baroness Matilda Guiguer guide you through the museum’s permanent exhibition “Noblesse oblige!” and learn about her family and children. Guided tours will take place every Sunday during the months of July and August at 1.30pm; 2.30pm and 3.30pm. Entry is 10CHF for adults, 8CHF for ages 16+ and free for children under 16.
- 20th-24th July 2015: Free Ateliers Cirque, circus workshops in French with Snick le Clown at the Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy. Juggling, monocycle and more circus skills to learn free of charge! Activities take place from 10am to midday everyday from Monday 20th to Friday 24th of July, look for Snick the Clown at the restaurant or inside the park.
- 20th-26th July 2015: the Paléo Festival Nyon is quite legendary and amongst the best music festivals in the region. This year’s edition is set to be one of the best with international stars such as Charlie Winston, Joan Baez, Christine and the Queens, Kings of Leon, Faithless, David Guetta, Coeur de Pirate, Robbie Williams and many many more ready to rock the stage ! Paléo Festival Nyon has a great programme for kids too, including live evening concerts, free day nursery, free magic shows and baby disco every day as well as the kids’ play area Mielimélo (ages 6 to 12). Entry to the festival is free for all children under the age of 12, check the official website for the complete list of kids activities.
- Tuesday 21st July 2015: Atelier de vacances | Jeux d’ombres, holiday workshop in French for children aged 7 to 12 at the Château de Prangins – from 2pm to 4.30pm. The cost is CHF 10.- per child, including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 022 994 88 93.
- 21st July – 9th August 2015: “La poupée dans la poche”, theatre show for children at the Théâtre De l’Orangerie Genève (Quai Gustave-Ador 66C) at 11am. The story is inspired by traditional Russian tales for children and the theatre location is simply stunning.
- Wednesday 22nd July 2015: “Avec Galilée dans les étoiles grâce à Fiami” – Animation du mercredi from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Exoplanètes”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- 23rd-26th July 2015: Au temps des Rois Maudits, historical re-enactment at Chillon Castle, with over 100 artists who will take you back to the heart of a great medieval mystery. Music, drama, flag-throwing, falconry and circus – a unique and fantastic show, directed by Alain Carré. Continuous performance from 20:00 to 23:00. Last entry: 22:00. Doors open at 19:30.
- until 24th July 2015: Un été à Sécheron, it’s summer time at the Espace de Quartier Sécheron in Geneva with umbrellas, sun loungers, buvette, concerts and many activities for kids. Open Monday to Friday from 3pm to 8pm, you will also find table tennis and small inflatable paddle pools for the little ones.
- 25th July-2nd August 2015: “Au pays des enfants” kids festival in the Pays-d’Enhaut, Switzerland (communes of Château-d’Oex, Rougemont and Rossinière). The programme includes over 100 shows and plenty of creative workshops for children of all ages. A great family day-out in the beautiful setting of the Pays-d’Enhaut ! Vist the official website for full programme details in all 3 communes and to buy your tickets. If you have a Coop Hello Family card you can claim a 20% discount.
- Sunday 26th July 2015: Les Puces de Nyon, very scenic flea market in the pretty lakeside town of Nyon (VD). Grab a fab bargain or a delicious Italian ice-cream!
- Sunday 26th July 2015: La baronne Matilda Guiguer reçoit au Château de Prangins, guided tours in period costume at the Château de Prangins (VD). Let 18th century Baroness Matilda Guiguer guide you through the museum’s permanent exhibition “Noblesse oblige!” and learn about her family and children. Guided tours will take place every Sunday during the months of July and August at 1.30pm; 2.30pm and 3.30pm. Entry is 10CHF for adults, 8CHF for ages 16+ and free for children under 16.
- Sunday 26th July 2015: Les Hippodromes du Centre-Est en Fête at the Hippodrome in Divonne-les-Bains (France) starting at 2pm. This free event will include an equestrian show, activities for kids (bouncy castle, face-painting, snacks etc.), and prizes to be won. Open to everyone – FREE ENTRY.
- Sunday 26th July 2015: Un dimanche d’été en famille, summer brunch for families at the Musée du Jeu at La Tour-de-Peilz (VD). The brunch runs from 12pm to 2pm and will consist of a scrumptious picnic basket, outdoor games for kids aged 6+ and sunloungers for parents! What more can we ask from a summer’s brunch? Places must be booked in advance at 021 977 23 00. Prices are CHF 25.- / for adults and CHF 20.- / per child (ages 6 to 16). Find out more about the Swiss Musée du Jeu in our previous post.
- until 26th July 2015: Lausanne-sur-mer, free sports activities from Wednesday to Sunday on Avenue Emile-Henri-Jaques-Dalcroze 7 in Lausanne. Activities include Badminton, Kayak*, Volley, Football, Paddle*, Parkour, Planche à voile*, Tennis de table, Babyfoot, Slackline, Pétanque, Tennis. Activities with an * require parental consent and a nominal fee.
- Tuesday 28th July 2015: Atelier de vacances | Potager des cinq sens, holiday workshop in French for children aged 7 to 12 at the Château de Prangins – from 2pm to 4.30pm. The cost is CHF 10.- per child, including a snack. Places must be booked in advance at 022 994 88 93.
- Wednesday 29th July 2015: “Avec Galilée dans les étoiles grâce à Fiami” – Animation du mercredi from age 7 at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou). In connection with the current exhibition “Exoplanètes”, these free Wednesday workshops will take place from 2pm to 4.30pm (second floor).
- Wednesday 29th July 2015: kids workshop in French “Fabrique ton lampion pour le 1er août” (Swiss National Day) at the Musée du Léman in Nyon (VD). Children and adults are welcome to join in and make their Swiss National Day paper lantern for August 1st. Sessions will take place at 10am, 11.30am and 2pm. The price is 10CHF per lantern made, advance booking recommended at firstname.lastname@example.org – 022.361.09.49.
- until 23rd August 2015: the Tour de plage at the Fontaine des Tours in Carouge (20-22 boulevard des Promenades), opens up again for the summer season. A fantastic spot right in the heart of Carouge, where you will be able to enjoy live concerts and plenty of activities for the little ones, including face painting, giant outdoor games from Carouge’s toy library, Zumba etc. – and all are free of charge! Open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 2pm to 7pm, Tour de plage has too many activities planned to list them all here, so click on the official website for full details.
- until 8th August 2015: Yatouland outdoor at the Centre commercial de Thônex (106 rue de Genève, Thônex). Open from 1pm to 6pm Monday to Saturday, closed on Sundays and on rainy days. Entry is free so make the most of these outdoor inflatable castles!
- until 21st August 2015: été à la Jonction, summer activities and workshops for failies, adults and children at different locations in the Jonction neighbourhood in Geneva, including the parc Gourgas; parc de la Baleine (rue du Village-Suisse) and the parc Baud-Bovy (parc de l’Ancien palais). Click here to download the full list of activities and workshops. All events are organized by the Association de la Maison du Quartier de la Jonction, l’Association 60X60, l’Association le 3ème Optimiste, le Collectif Puna, Caroline Cariage, Magali Theiler, Diego Rigamonti, l’Unité d’Action Communautaire Plainpalais-Jonction-Acacias, la Ludothèque Jonction-Plainpalais, l’Espace jeunesse de la Bibliothèque Municipale de la Jonction, le Service de la Jeunesse de la ville de Genève.
- until 30th August 2015: Divonne Quartier d’été, free summer activities in Divonne-les-Bains. Activities include free cinema screenings, concerts, shows and much more!
- until 21st September 2015: Lausanne Estivale, a great summer festival offering plenty of activities, concerts and more for all ages. The programme will be online at the beginning of June so check their official website for full details.
- until Sunday 27th September 2015: Free Spectacles enfants — clowns, music and other fun kids shows in French at the Parc Pré Vert Signal de Bougy. Shows will take place at 3pm in the park’s amphitheatre but will be cancelled in case of bad weather and rain. Click here to download the complete list of upcoming shows. FREE ENTRY, no advance booking required.
- until 18th October 2015: “Plantes & Spiritualités”, a great exhibition and themed walk at the Botanical Gardens in Geneva. A perfect day-out for the whole family, with plenty of outdoor attractions for the little ones: a great playground, free zoo, merry-go-round and beautiful gardens of course! FREE ENTRY, open everyday from 8am to 7.30pm.
- until 25th October 2015: “L’œil nu” a fantastic new exhibition suitable from age 7 at the Espace des Inventions in Lausanne (Vallée de la Jeunesse 1). The exhibition will teach your little ones everything there is to know about sight and vision, through a series of interactive stations. Alongside the exhibition there will also be a series of fun workshops for ages 7 to 12 called “Le Club des petits inventeurs”, from 2pm to 5pm on selected days. Click here to download the list of activities.
- until 25th October 2015: “Alison Elizabeth Taylor: Savage Root”, new art exhibition by Brooklyn-based artist Alison Elizabeth Taylor at the Musée – Château de Nyon (VD). This American artist has become well-known for reinvigorating the Renaissance craft of marquetry, or intarsia wood inlay, which she uses to depict contemporary scenes of rural and urban life. This is her first solo European exhibition, which features great workshops for kids starting in September 2015, guided tours for adults and a special American evening to celebrate the 4th of July.
- until 4th April 2016: Exoplanète, a great exhibition at the Muséum d’histoire naturelle, Genève (1, route de Malagnou) to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the discovery of the first exoplanète, a planet situated outside our solar system by the Swiss astrophysicists from the Observatoire de Genève, Michel Mayor & Didier Queloz. This exhibition is accompanied by a number of kids workshops, guided tours, astronomical observation and many more events in the months to come.
- until May 2016: Exposition de la maquette de la ville de Genève. The architectural model of the city of Geneva looks pretty awesome, it comprises of 145 modules and it took 40 years to complete! It is now on display for the first time and open to the public on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 11am until 6pm at the “Exposition de la maquette de la ville de Genève” — 25 rue du Stand — Geneva. The exhibition opened on the 15th of April 2015 and will run until May 2016. You can call +41 22 418 20 63 for more info or to book a guided tour.
- The permanent exhibition “Noblesse Oblige” at Prangins Castle is a great day-out for the whole family, take a step back in time with your children to see how a noble Swiss family lived in the 18th century! Find out more about this fantastic family exhibition in our previous post.